I approve of walk-in beer coolers at baseball games

Sep 23, 2010, 10:00 AM EDT

That last post totally bummed me out, so let’s lighten the mood.

This is a couple months old, but I was just directed to it. It’s a day-at-the-ballpark blog post by an Iowa Cubs fan.  The notable thing about it is the third through seventh pics down, in which the Cubs’ walk-in beer cooler is detailed.

My grocery store has one of these things and I don’t think much of it. But like hot dogs, such a beast is elevated to an almost heavenly level when placed in a ballpark.  And that’s the case even if they’re still charging eight bucks for Coors Light.

If the Columbus Clippers get one of these things I will not miss a game next year.

1. okobojicat - Sep 23, 2010 at 10:05 AM

The Tacoma Rainiers broadcaster talked about this earlier in the year as well. He LOVES IT!

2. BC - Sep 23, 2010 at 10:07 AM

I remember going to a Glens Falls (NY) Redbirds game in the early 90’s. The PA announcer comes on before the top of the 7th inning, with an announcement: “An announcement from the concession stand, for the remainder of the game, all beer will be half price.”
    Budweiser for a buck-fifty! Woo-hoo!

3. Kevin S. - Sep 23, 2010 at 10:23 AM

Craig, didn’t you know that Thou Shalt Not Pay Inflated Prices for Shit Beer was a baseball rule? I think it’s in Bill James’ Ten Commandments, somewhere.

4. Jonny5 - Sep 23, 2010 at 10:24 AM

MLB? never. I could see that cooler being emptied in about ten minutes with only 10 people actually paying for their beer. It is a very cool idea for the minor leagues though. For some reason the crowd is so much more respectful of everyone at a minor league game. It’s as if Dicks have no interest whatsoever in the minor league games. Which is ok by me. Even if i only really go to see trenton Thunder (NYY) and Camden Riversharks which have no MLB affiliation. These games are a great family thing to do. Cheaper everything. No a-wipes.

5. birdmancometh - Sep 23, 2010 at 10:53 AM

Dollar dog night at a minor league park is a can’t miss. Especially on the left field deck for the Reading Phillies. Mostly “a-wipe” free.

6. Ditto65 - Sep 23, 2010 at 12:47 PM

Mostly. Great place to see a game, Reading.

7. The Rabbit - Sep 23, 2010 at 1:09 PM

“Dollar dog night at a minor league park is a can’t miss.” Absolutely. That’s one of the KC Royals regular promotions. Not joking.

8. Craig Calcaterra - Sep 23, 2010 at 1:13 PM

The Indians do it too.
    The real promotion is what the Columbus Clippers do, and have done for years: Dime-a-dog night. They limit you to like ten for any one visit to any one stand, but you can conceivably bring five bucks in and get 50 dogs.
    I don’t want to know where they get the dogs for those nights, but, hey, a value is a value!

Angels' 2011 overhaul finally paying off?
  1. R. Castillo (3262)