Sep 23, 2010, 2:15 PM EDT
This afternoon Jose Bautista went deep for the 50th time this season–off Felix Hernandez, no less–to become the 26th player in baseball history with 50 homers.
Bautista is also just five walks away from becoming the 14th player to have a 50-homer, 100-walk season. And he’d certainly be the most unlikely member of the 50-100 club.
Joe Posnanski of SI.com put together a list of the 32 “flukiest home run seasons” in baseball history and as you might expect Bautista is very high up on the list. I won’t ruin the surprise, because as with most things Posnanski writes it’s a must-read.
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 40
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 50
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 22
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 44
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 33
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 71
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco (71)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (69)