Sep 23, 2010, 2:15 PM EDT
This afternoon Jose Bautista went deep for the 50th time this season–off Felix Hernandez, no less–to become the 26th player in baseball history with 50 homers.
Bautista is also just five walks away from becoming the 14th player to have a 50-homer, 100-walk season. And he’d certainly be the most unlikely member of the 50-100 club.
Joe Posnanski of SI.com put together a list of the 32 “flukiest home run seasons” in baseball history and as you might expect Bautista is very high up on the list. I won’t ruin the surprise, because as with most things Posnanski writes it’s a must-read.
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 22
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 26
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 43
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 18
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 34
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 24
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)
- Ichiro Suzuki passes Babe Ruth on the all-time hits list (76)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (71)
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves (71)