Sep 23, 2010, 2:15 PM EST
This afternoon Jose Bautista went deep for the 50th time this season–off Felix Hernandez, no less–to become the 26th player in baseball history with 50 homers.
Bautista is also just five walks away from becoming the 14th player to have a 50-homer, 100-walk season. And he’d certainly be the most unlikely member of the 50-100 club.
Joe Posnanski of SI.com put together a list of the 32 “flukiest home run seasons” in baseball history and as you might expect Bautista is very high up on the list. I won’t ruin the surprise, because as with most things Posnanski writes it’s a must-read.
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 115
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 41
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 368
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (368)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (308)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (115)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (85)