Sep 23, 2010, 2:15 PM EST
This afternoon Jose Bautista went deep for the 50th time this season–off Felix Hernandez, no less–to become the 26th player in baseball history with 50 homers.
Bautista is also just five walks away from becoming the 14th player to have a 50-homer, 100-walk season. And he’d certainly be the most unlikely member of the 50-100 club.
Joe Posnanski of SI.com put together a list of the 32 “flukiest home run seasons” in baseball history and as you might expect Bautista is very high up on the list. I won’t ruin the surprise, because as with most things Posnanski writes it’s a must-read.
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 76
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 42
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 24
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 144
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 26
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)