Sep 23, 2010, 2:15 PM EDT
This afternoon Jose Bautista went deep for the 50th time this season–off Felix Hernandez, no less–to become the 26th player in baseball history with 50 homers.
Bautista is also just five walks away from becoming the 14th player to have a 50-homer, 100-walk season. And he’d certainly be the most unlikely member of the 50-100 club.
Joe Posnanski of SI.com put together a list of the 32 “flukiest home run seasons” in baseball history and as you might expect Bautista is very high up on the list. I won’t ruin the surprise, because as with most things Posnanski writes it’s a must-read.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (133)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)