Sep 23, 2010, 10:15 AM EST
Kevin Towers said a whole bunch of interesting stuff during his introductory press conference as Diamondbacks’ general manager yesterday, including that he wants to bring in Greg Maddux as pitching coach or bench coach next season
“I told Greg two years ago as soon as you want to be on the field please make me the first call,” Towers said.
Throughout his Hall of Fame playing career Maddux was billed as “the smartest pitcher in baseball” and he was frequently spotted giving pitching lessons in the dugout, so if he’s interested in the job it certainly seems like a potentially excellent fit.
His brother, Mike Maddux, has been a pitching coach in Texas and Milwaukee, although according to Bob Nightengale of USA Today “the last Hall of Fame pitcher to be a pitching coach was Ferguson Jenkins for the Cubs in 1996.”
Mel Stottlemyre Jr. is currently in his second season as Arizona’s pitching coach and has spent the past nine years in the organization in some capacity, so he’s probably not thrilled to hear Maddux’s name come up for his job.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 86
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 161
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (161)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (136)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)