Mariano Rivera says: no champagne until the division is clinched

Sep 23, 2010, 8:25 AM EST

I think there are way too many champagne/beer shower celebrations already. Clinching the playoffs. Clinching the division. Winning the division series. Winning the LCS. Winning the World Series. Don’t get me wrong — there are scant few things in this world better than an alcohol-fueled bacchanalia — but I would think at some point it would get a little tiresome.

Mariano Rivera thinks so too, telling the Daily News that his preference would be for the Yankees to hold off on the celebration that would come when the playoff spot is officially clinched and wait until they win the division (if they win the division):

“Clinching
a playoff spot is good, but we’re going for the division,” Rivera said.
“Hopefully we’ll celebrate with that. We’re going to go for the big
one.”

Joe Girardi said he doesn’t care and that he’d leave it up to the players to decide how they want to celebrate. The beer showers are certainly old hat for most of the Yankees, so I’d probably be with Mo if I had been his teammate for a while.

As a consolation I’d let Curtis Granderson or whoever hasn’t been there for one in New York to take the company credit card out for the night and have fun. Everyone wins.

1. SouthofHeaven - Sep 23, 2010 at 9:01 AM

Curtis Granderson & Lance Berkman out on the town together on the company dime. Why do I picture this as some kind of sequel to Planes, Trains & Automobiles?

2. imabigdog - Sep 23, 2010 at 9:01 AM

Could not agree more about the Champain Showers. Problem is that they have become a “Product Placement” sponsership. Ever notice how now you see Budwiser signs on the plastic that covers the lockers?
    In a 4 week span how many times can you celebrate? My feelings…. Winning the Division, winning the League Championship Series and Winning the World Series is MORE then enough. Wild Card…Come on… you just celebrating comming in 2nd? Really?
    Winning the Divisional Series? Why? Winning the Divisional Series does not give you a title or banner to hang. Lose the Divisional Series celebration.

3. ThatGuy - Sep 23, 2010 at 9:06 AM

I agree, Clinching a division and winning the World Series should be the only celebrations. The division because the season is a long grind, and its what you have been working towards for 6 months and the World Series because it’s the ultimate goal.

4. BC - Sep 23, 2010 at 9:10 AM

If I’m the Yankees, I do the champagne/beer shower thing if and only if I win the World Series.

5. Kevin S. - Sep 23, 2010 at 9:35 AM

Agreed. It’s like UCLA only hanging championship banners. At some point, you don’t care about the intermediate steps anymore.

6. recent - Sep 23, 2010 at 11:12 AM

It really depends on how it is clinched. If a team like the Yankees easily sweeps the divisional series for the nth consecutive year and was expected to win, don’t bother celebrating it. If a team like the Nationals was in last place and were to make a huge run and earn a wildcard berth in their 162nd game against all odds, go ahead and celebrate it, because odds are you won’t make it far enough to have another celebration. If they were to then come back from the brink of being swept and win the divisional series in dramatic fashion, celebrate it. It’s a cause for celebration when you do something nobody ever expected of you. Otherwise, as is the case with the Yankees and other perennial playoff teams, act like you’ve been there before.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (5205)
  2. M. Kemp (3096)
  3. C. McGehee (2784)
  4. W. Middlebrooks (2781)
  5. J. Upton (2655)