Sep 23, 2010, 8:25 AM EDT
I think there are way too many champagne/beer shower celebrations already. Clinching the playoffs. Clinching the division. Winning the division series. Winning the LCS. Winning the World Series. Don’t get me wrong — there are scant few things in this world better than an alcohol-fueled bacchanalia — but I would think at some point it would get a little tiresome.
Mariano Rivera thinks so too, telling the Daily News that his preference would be for the Yankees to hold off on the celebration that would come when the playoff spot is officially clinched and wait until they win the division (if they win the division):
a playoff spot is good, but we’re going for the division,” Rivera said.
“Hopefully we’ll celebrate with that. We’re going to go for the big
Joe Girardi said he doesn’t care and that he’d leave it up to the players to decide how they want to celebrate. The beer showers are certainly old hat for most of the Yankees, so I’d probably be with Mo if I had been his teammate for a while.
As a consolation I’d let Curtis Granderson or whoever hasn’t been there for one in New York to take the company credit card out for the night and have fun. Everyone wins.
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 4
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 11
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 17
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)