Sep 23, 2010, 8:25 AM EDT
I think there are way too many champagne/beer shower celebrations already. Clinching the playoffs. Clinching the division. Winning the division series. Winning the LCS. Winning the World Series. Don’t get me wrong — there are scant few things in this world better than an alcohol-fueled bacchanalia — but I would think at some point it would get a little tiresome.
Mariano Rivera thinks so too, telling the Daily News that his preference would be for the Yankees to hold off on the celebration that would come when the playoff spot is officially clinched and wait until they win the division (if they win the division):
a playoff spot is good, but we’re going for the division,” Rivera said.
“Hopefully we’ll celebrate with that. We’re going to go for the big
Joe Girardi said he doesn’t care and that he’d leave it up to the players to decide how they want to celebrate. The beer showers are certainly old hat for most of the Yankees, so I’d probably be with Mo if I had been his teammate for a while.
As a consolation I’d let Curtis Granderson or whoever hasn’t been there for one in New York to take the company credit card out for the night and have fun. Everyone wins.
- Jonathan Papelbon makes it clear, again: He wants out of Philadelphia 49
- Looking at the All-Star team snubs and surprises 66
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 51
- “Final Vote” balloting opens for 2015 MLB All-Star Game 51
- Pitchers and reserves for 2015 MLB All-Star Game announced 65
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 51
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 106
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (106)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)