Sep 23, 2010, 8:25 AM EST
I think there are way too many champagne/beer shower celebrations already. Clinching the playoffs. Clinching the division. Winning the division series. Winning the LCS. Winning the World Series. Don’t get me wrong — there are scant few things in this world better than an alcohol-fueled bacchanalia — but I would think at some point it would get a little tiresome.
Mariano Rivera thinks so too, telling the Daily News that his preference would be for the Yankees to hold off on the celebration that would come when the playoff spot is officially clinched and wait until they win the division (if they win the division):
a playoff spot is good, but we’re going for the division,” Rivera said.
“Hopefully we’ll celebrate with that. We’re going to go for the big
Joe Girardi said he doesn’t care and that he’d leave it up to the players to decide how they want to celebrate. The beer showers are certainly old hat for most of the Yankees, so I’d probably be with Mo if I had been his teammate for a while.
As a consolation I’d let Curtis Granderson or whoever hasn’t been there for one in New York to take the company credit card out for the night and have fun. Everyone wins.
- Someone apparently got Jayson Werth’s autograph in jail 8
- Chris Davis opens up about his Adderall suspension: “It was a moment of weakness” 50
- MLB.com names Byron Buxton as baseball’s top prospect for second straight year 32
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants 101
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 48
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 39
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 173
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (173)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants (103)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (85)