Sep 23, 2010, 2:33 PM EST
Matt Stairs was content to be a high school hockey coach back home in Maine this past winter, but he got on Nutri-System, lost 40 pounds and found the spark to come back and make the Padres out of camp. Rather than a last hurrah, Staris tells MLB.com’s Corey Brock that he’d like to play one or two more years.
I suppose it’s possible he could do it too. He hasn’t had a great season, even in his limited role (.227/.303/.455), but he has a little power left and he can even flash some occasional leather. For him anyway.
What he really has going for him, I think, is that every single thing I’ve ever read or heard about him suggests that people just like him and want him in the clubhouse. That only goes so far — Brad Ausmus probably stretches the limits of the concept — but as long as you can do one or two competent things on a diamond, it can get you a roster spot.
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 11
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 56
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 141
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 24
- Matt Kemp has officially been traded to the Padres 29
- Padres acquire catcher Derek Norris from Athletics 37
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site 90
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (141)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)