Sep 23, 2010, 1:35 AM EDT
Miguel Tejada took Ted Lilly deep Wednesday night to become the 129th player in major league history to reach 300 homers.
It was Tejada’s eighth homer in 194 at-bats since the Padres picked him up prior to the trade deadline. He hit just seven in 401 at-bats for the Orioles over the first four months of the season.
Tejada ranks third all-time for homers as a shortstop with 289. Only Cal Ripken (345) and Alex Rodriguez (344) have hit more. Ernie Banks is fourth at 277.
Tejada is also third on the all-time list for homers by a player who spent the bulk of his career as a shortstop. A-Rod, of course, tops that one, with 608 homers to date, but he’ll probably finish his career with more games at third than at short. If that’s the case, only Ripken, with 431 homers, would have more than Tejada. Robin Yount is fourth at 251, followed by Jose Valentin (249), Vern Stephens (247), Derek Jeter (234) and Nomar Garciaparra (229).
Those will be interesting facts in building a Cooperstown case for Tejada someday. He’s never really seemed like a Hall of Famer, but by the time he’s eligible, he’ll rank second or third all-time for homers by a shortstop and somewhere between fifth and seventh in RBI (depending on how one wants to rank A-Rod and whether Jeter passes him). He also won an MVP award, and he amassed a very impressive consecutive games streak (he played in 162 games in six straight seasons). I don’t think he belongs, but there’s an argument to be made.
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 14
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 18
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 17
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)