Sep 23, 2010, 4:30 PM EDT
The mid-afternoon blahs always hit me around 3PM, and when they do my deep-thinking abilities flag. And I start paying attention to really dumb stuff. Like celebrity Twitter accounts. Here’s an Ozzie Guillen tweet from around then:
Enjoying this great day off in anaheim some shopping then maybe dinner with my goo friend bobby abreu
I love the idea of Ozzie Guillen and Bobby Abreu hanging out, doing a little shopping, then going to dinner. I picture a mid-80s movie-style musical montage in which Abreu comes out of the dressing room with a new outfit on, but Ozzie shakes his head. Abreu comes out with a second outfit on, but Ozzie shakes his head. Then Abreu comes out with a third outfit on and Ozzie smiles and gives him a big thumbs up. Then they go to Orange Julius together and plot how to get the best of William Zabka or whoever.
The only thing that killed this little daydream was a tweet from MLB.com’s Twitter feed a few minutes ago, re-tweeting Ozzie’s thing, only with edits:
RT @OzzieGuillen Enjoying this great day off in anaheim some shopping then maybe dinner with my good friend @BobKellyAbreu #whitesox #angels
Note the added “d” at the end of the word good? Ozzie’s omission of the “d” made his tweet charming. I could hear his voice, man! And Ozzie isn’t a big social media maven, so he had no need to @ Abreu’s name or do the hashtags. He was just keepin’ it real.
Oh well. I hope Ozzie and Bobby have fun today.
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 9
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 1
- HBT Daily: They’ve dropped six straight, but the Pirates may be the Wild Card favorites 2
- The Diamondbacks plan to bring back Kirk Gibson for some reason 30
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 32
- Numbers game: Tigers fall victim to baseball’s speed obsession 45
- Twins prospect Byron Buxton done for season after concussion 3
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. 74
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (125)
- Jayson Werth clocked at 105 m.p.h. in a 55 zone, is charged with reckless driving (88)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Baseball is dying, you guys (78)
- A vote for Tom Werner for commissioner is a vote to return to the dark ages (78)