Sep 23, 2010, 2:00 PM EDT
Jon Heyman reports that Washington Nationals President Stan Kastan has resigned. He’ll stay on until the end of the season for whatever that’s worth. Jon Paul Morosi reports that he’s leaving “for personal reasons,” but you know and I know that’s usually code for “I gotta get out of this monkeyhouse.”
Tom Boswell of the Washington Post wrote a column foreshadowing this just this morning. The real reason for the resignation — if you believe Boswell — bodes ill for the Nationals. Kastan has been lobbying the Lerners for years to raise the payroll and act less frugally when it comes to promotions and just about any other aspect of team operations. Boswell says that Kastan is tired of fighting — and losing — that fight. Noted Nats blogger Chris Needham — no Kastan fan by any stretch of the imagination — worries about Kastan leaving, as he may very well have been the bulwark preventing the Lerners from going with their instincts and nickel-and-diming the club to death.
This makes sense to me, as Kastan was perhaps the most important figure in Atlanta as the Braves were transitioning from the joke they were for much of the 70s and 80s into the highly professional organization they’ve been for the past 20 years. Ted Turner’s money, sure, but he always had money. Kastan knew how to spend it wisely and who to let spend it wisely.
There are always two sides to every story, so it’s premature to bury the Lerners over this or to assume that, with Kastan out of the picture, they’ll turn the Nats into the Florida Marlins North. But it’s certainly not a good sign when a guy who is as respected in professional sports feels it necessary to leave like Kastan is.
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 141
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 66
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 36
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 65
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 28
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 13
- Orioles trade for Brewers outfielder Gerardo Parra 19
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (159)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)