Sep 23, 2010, 2:00 PM EDT
Jon Heyman reports that Washington Nationals President Stan Kastan has resigned. He’ll stay on until the end of the season for whatever that’s worth. Jon Paul Morosi reports that he’s leaving “for personal reasons,” but you know and I know that’s usually code for “I gotta get out of this monkeyhouse.”
Tom Boswell of the Washington Post wrote a column foreshadowing this just this morning. The real reason for the resignation — if you believe Boswell — bodes ill for the Nationals. Kastan has been lobbying the Lerners for years to raise the payroll and act less frugally when it comes to promotions and just about any other aspect of team operations. Boswell says that Kastan is tired of fighting — and losing — that fight. Noted Nats blogger Chris Needham — no Kastan fan by any stretch of the imagination — worries about Kastan leaving, as he may very well have been the bulwark preventing the Lerners from going with their instincts and nickel-and-diming the club to death.
This makes sense to me, as Kastan was perhaps the most important figure in Atlanta as the Braves were transitioning from the joke they were for much of the 70s and 80s into the highly professional organization they’ve been for the past 20 years. Ted Turner’s money, sure, but he always had money. Kastan knew how to spend it wisely and who to let spend it wisely.
There are always two sides to every story, so it’s premature to bury the Lerners over this or to assume that, with Kastan out of the picture, they’ll turn the Nats into the Florida Marlins North. But it’s certainly not a good sign when a guy who is as respected in professional sports feels it necessary to leave like Kastan is.
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 0
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 47
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 34
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 104
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 16
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 28
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 68
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (104)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (89)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results (81)