The Nationals may be in denial about Kasten's resignation

Sep 23, 2010, 3:33 PM EDT

That word Stan Kastan keeps using. I don't think it means what the Nats think it means.

The Nationals just released a statement regarding Stan Kasten’s resignation. In it, Ted Lerner, the team’s owner, says the Nationals “will continue to call upon Stan Kasten . . .”

I know the team is in trouble without Kasten, but given that they don’t even know what the term “resignation” means, they may be in more trouble than I even realized.

1. Utley's hair - Sep 23, 2010 at 4:08 PM

Anybody want a peanut?

2. Utley's hair - Sep 23, 2010 at 4:11 PM

Thanks, Calcaterra!!!! Now I’ll be running through the whole dialogue in my head for the rest of the day. As you wiiiiiiiiiiish….

3. Wooden U Lykteneau - Sep 23, 2010 at 4:19 PM

Or… this is an example of a blogger’s inexperience and inability to recognize spin in a press release.

4. Craig Calcaterra - Sep 23, 2010 at 4:22 PM

Or is it a blogger recognizing it as spin, but choosing to not be spun and — as a rhetorical device — deciding to treat it literally so as to make the silliness of such spin plain for all to see?

5. amhendrick - Sep 23, 2010 at 4:40 PM

Why does Google Reader show up with text that isn’t actually in your post? It is confusing me.

6. Wooden U Lykteneau - Sep 23, 2010 at 4:51 PM

After that blogger had it pointed out to him, yes.

7. Wooden U Lykteneau - Sep 23, 2010 at 4:54 PM

But, I do give you props for doing what lawyers are good at doing… presenting a version of the truth that seems plausible.

8. ThatGuy - Sep 23, 2010 at 4:54 PM

Owned…

9. Craig Calcaterra - Sep 23, 2010 at 5:06 PM

If you’d like to believe that I think Ted Lerner doesn’t know the meaning of the word resignation, by all means, go on believing it.

10. Calm in Cali - Sep 23, 2010 at 5:11 PM

Or maybe Lerner meant it literally, considering reports are that Kasten will retain his minority ownership stake in the team.

11. Wooden U Lykteneau - Sep 23, 2010 at 5:16 PM

Absolutely, just as you’re allowed to believe that that’s what I meant.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5308)