Sep 23, 2010, 12:30 PM EDT
I don’t much trust young people — they frighten and confuse me — but those few to whom I’ve dared speak have mentioned that this “the Hold Steady” ensemble plays some catchy ditties. As I have been unable to find their cassette at my local MusicLand store, I have been unable to verify such claims one way or another.
But I have now heard a song their lead singer wrote and performs — “Don’t Call Them Twinkies” — which is being touted as a Minnesota Twins playoff anthem. I guess it’s OK. It’s no “Who Stole the Keeshka,” which the Tigers employed like a secret weapon in 1968, but you can judge for yourself here. It’s all so much noise to me. Plus the lyric about Ron Gant is simply false.
Now if you’ll excuse me, I’m going to turn on the radio so that I might be able to record a song I’ve been trying to get for the mix tape I’m making for a certain young lady. I’ve gotten really good at hitting “play/record” at the exact moment the disc jockey stops talking, so my mix tapes are pretty smooth.
- World Series, Game 1: Giants vs. Royals lineups 0
- HBT Daily: In which I waffle on my World Series pick 10
- Must-click link: surviving spring training on $0 a day 68
- Your Official HardballTalk World Series Preview 25
- World Series Reset: Game 1 — finally! — is tonight 30
- HBT Daily: How the Royals and Giants were built 4
- Two radio stations in San Francisco are refusing to play Lorde’s “Royals” during the World Series 40
- Royals tab James Shields, Yordano Ventura to start first two games of World Series 1
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (120)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (107)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (106)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Andrew Friedman leaving the Rays to take over as Dodgers President of Baseball Operations (83)