Sep 23, 2010, 7:00 PM EDT
The Yankees gave 6-foot-10 right-hander Andrew Brackman a late callup Thursday, and he’s expected to make his major league debut at some point during the final week and a half.
Brackman, an NC State product, was taken 30th overall in 2007 and give a $4.5 million major league contract even though expectations were that he would need Tommy John surgery. He underwent the procedure and didn’t make his pro debut until 2009, when he went 2-12 with a 5.91 ERA for low Single-A Charleston.
Despite his struggles, Brackman was moved up to high-A Tampa to open 2010. He went 5-4 with a 5.10 ERA there, but his impressive 56/9 K/BB ratio in 60 innings led to another promotion. He joined Double-A Trenton in June and went 5-7 with a 3.01 ERA and a 70/30 K/BB ratio in 80 2/3 innings. After the All-Star break, he had a 2.10 ERA in 60 innings.
Brackman turns 25 this winter, and it’s doubtful that he’s ready for the majors yet. However, he’s progressed to the point at which he should begin 2011 at the top of Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre’s rotation, and he could be a candidate to start games for the Yankees by midseason if injuries strike. If he appears this month, it figures to be in mop-up relief.
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 32
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 20
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 47
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 15
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 39
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 50
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)