Sep 24, 2010, 1:19 PM EST
Third base prospect Mat Gamel began getting some reps at first base recently as the Brewers plan ahead for the possibility of life without Prince Fielder, but yesterday he made his first career start in left field subbing for an injured Ryan Braun and now it sounds like Milwaukee’s coaching staff may like him more as an outfielder.
“My assessment says that’s where he’s going to wind up, in the outfield,” manager Ken Macha told Anthony Witrado of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. Of course, Macha also pointed out that, as of now, Braun is signed through 2015 and right fielder Corey Hart just inked a $26.5 million extension that goes through 2013.
“We might get in the winter and somebody might be interested in somebody and it’s a deal that fits both clubs and somebody goes,” Macha said. “It might not be Gamel. It might be one of the other guys. So who knows what happens as things move forward.”
Braun obviously isn’t going anywhere and the odds of trading Hart just months after signing him to an extension seem pretty slim, so Gamel replacing Fielder at first base remains the most likely scenario whether it happens in 2011 or 2012.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 82
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 160
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (161)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (136)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)