Sep 24, 2010, 1:19 PM EDT
Third base prospect Mat Gamel began getting some reps at first base recently as the Brewers plan ahead for the possibility of life without Prince Fielder, but yesterday he made his first career start in left field subbing for an injured Ryan Braun and now it sounds like Milwaukee’s coaching staff may like him more as an outfielder.
“My assessment says that’s where he’s going to wind up, in the outfield,” manager Ken Macha told Anthony Witrado of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. Of course, Macha also pointed out that, as of now, Braun is signed through 2015 and right fielder Corey Hart just inked a $26.5 million extension that goes through 2013.
“We might get in the winter and somebody might be interested in somebody and it’s a deal that fits both clubs and somebody goes,” Macha said. “It might not be Gamel. It might be one of the other guys. So who knows what happens as things move forward.”
Braun obviously isn’t going anywhere and the odds of trading Hart just months after signing him to an extension seem pretty slim, so Gamel replacing Fielder at first base remains the most likely scenario whether it happens in 2011 or 2012.
- Orioles beat Blue Jays to clinch AL East title 1
- Tanner Roark dominates as Nationals clinch NL East 4
- Masahiro Tanaka to pitch on Sunday 7
- Astros shut down George Springer for the season 0
- The Blue Jays will make a qualifying offer to Melky Cabrera 20
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 34
- MLB suspends Jonathan Papelbon seven games for incident during Sunday’s game 42
- VIDEO: Jacob deGrom begins game with eight straight strikeouts to tie MLB record 11
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)