Sep 24, 2010, 1:19 PM EDT
Third base prospect Mat Gamel began getting some reps at first base recently as the Brewers plan ahead for the possibility of life without Prince Fielder, but yesterday he made his first career start in left field subbing for an injured Ryan Braun and now it sounds like Milwaukee’s coaching staff may like him more as an outfielder.
“My assessment says that’s where he’s going to wind up, in the outfield,” manager Ken Macha told Anthony Witrado of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. Of course, Macha also pointed out that, as of now, Braun is signed through 2015 and right fielder Corey Hart just inked a $26.5 million extension that goes through 2013.
“We might get in the winter and somebody might be interested in somebody and it’s a deal that fits both clubs and somebody goes,” Macha said. “It might not be Gamel. It might be one of the other guys. So who knows what happens as things move forward.”
Braun obviously isn’t going anywhere and the odds of trading Hart just months after signing him to an extension seem pretty slim, so Gamel replacing Fielder at first base remains the most likely scenario whether it happens in 2011 or 2012.
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 14
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week 65
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 78
- MLB “actively studying” fan safety; Phillies plan to expand netting at Citizens Bank Park 28
- Marlins might move in and lower the fences at Marlins Park 26
- Astros beat the suddenly skidding Yankees, top last year’s win total 30
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week 134
- Joe Girardi would like Carlos Gomez to “play the game right” 90
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (122)
- Let’s all argue about team chemistry again (118)