Sep 24, 2010, 11:18 AM EST
Edgar Renteria has played just 71 games this season due to an assortment of injuries and poor production, and yesterday the 34-year-old infielder told Henry Schulman of the San Francisco Chronicle that he’s considering retirement after 15 seasons in the majors:
I feel good. My mind is good, but sometimes the body says, “No,” because I’ve had a lot of injuries this year. I’m not proud of what I’ve done. If they pay me to play, I just want to give back, not get injured. That’s me.
Renteria has earned $18.5 million over the past two seasons while hitting just .260/.317/.346 and playing in just 60 percent of the Giants’ games. The retirement talk is interesting, in part because he could no doubt stick around for several more seasons as a part-time player and in part because his current contract includes a $10.5 million team option or $500,000 buyout for 2011.
Retiring would free the Giants from having to pay that buyout, so if Renteria does decide to call it quits after the season expect him wait until San Francisco cuts him loose and he gets that final check.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 86
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 162
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (162)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (137)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)