Sep 24, 2010, 11:18 AM EDT
Edgar Renteria has played just 71 games this season due to an assortment of injuries and poor production, and yesterday the 34-year-old infielder told Henry Schulman of the San Francisco Chronicle that he’s considering retirement after 15 seasons in the majors:
I feel good. My mind is good, but sometimes the body says, “No,” because I’ve had a lot of injuries this year. I’m not proud of what I’ve done. If they pay me to play, I just want to give back, not get injured. That’s me.
Renteria has earned $18.5 million over the past two seasons while hitting just .260/.317/.346 and playing in just 60 percent of the Giants’ games. The retirement talk is interesting, in part because he could no doubt stick around for several more seasons as a part-time player and in part because his current contract includes a $10.5 million team option or $500,000 buyout for 2011.
Retiring would free the Giants from having to pay that buyout, so if Renteria does decide to call it quits after the season expect him wait until San Francisco cuts him loose and he gets that final check.
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 0
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 8
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 31
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 48
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. 71
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM 75
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 46
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 12
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (76)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)