Sep 24, 2010, 9:51 AM EDT
Over at IIATMS, Larry takes on the manner in which folks have been trying to, um, inject PEDs into the narrative surrounding Jose Bautista’s 50-home run season. It’s a good read, with a premise worth thinking about: while we can predict a lot on baseball, the unpredictable can still happen. It’s funny how people can acknowledge this generally while ignoring it in specific cases like Bautista’s.
I have no idea how Jose Bautista hit 50 home runs this year, but unlke Damian Cox at the Toronto Star and other writers who have tackled the subject, I do not think it is fair to accuse Bautista of PED use or to even “ask the question,” about it, which is just a passive-aggressive way to accuse. There is a testing regime in place right now that, unlike ten years ago, entitles players, I think, until the assumption that they are innocent until proven guilty.
And of course, I continue to wonder why none of the many, many people who excoriated blogger Jerod Morris for “asking the question” about Raul Ibanez last year ago are raising holy hell about the people doing it to Bautista, but that’s probably the subject of another rant.
- Who really owns a home run ball? 56
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 125
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” 127
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week 122
- Dodgers left-hander Hyun-Jin Ryu to have season-ending shoulder surgery 8
- Remembering David Letterman’s best sports moments 11
- Ryan Zimmerman is Mr. Walk-Off (and the numbers to prove it) 11
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (128)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (125)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)