Sep 24, 2010, 9:51 AM EDT
Over at IIATMS, Larry takes on the manner in which folks have been trying to, um, inject PEDs into the narrative surrounding Jose Bautista’s 50-home run season. It’s a good read, with a premise worth thinking about: while we can predict a lot on baseball, the unpredictable can still happen. It’s funny how people can acknowledge this generally while ignoring it in specific cases like Bautista’s.
I have no idea how Jose Bautista hit 50 home runs this year, but unlke Damian Cox at the Toronto Star and other writers who have tackled the subject, I do not think it is fair to accuse Bautista of PED use or to even “ask the question,” about it, which is just a passive-aggressive way to accuse. There is a testing regime in place right now that, unlike ten years ago, entitles players, I think, until the assumption that they are innocent until proven guilty.
And of course, I continue to wonder why none of the many, many people who excoriated blogger Jerod Morris for “asking the question” about Raul Ibanez last year ago are raising holy hell about the people doing it to Bautista, but that’s probably the subject of another rant.
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 52
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 12
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 32
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 34
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 350
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 5
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (350)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (185)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (161)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)