Sep 24, 2010, 5:17 PM EDT
Marc Topkin of the St. Petersburg Times reports that Evan Longoria is out of the Rays’ lineup tonight and could be sidelined for the entire weekend series with the Mariners due to a quadriceps injury suffered while turning a double play against the Yankees yesterday.
Longoria has been absent from the lineup just one previous time this season, way back on May 23. Sean Rodriguez is starting in his place tonight at third base, with Willy Aybar moving into the cleanup spot behind Carl Crawford.
Longoria went 5-for-16 (.313) with a homer, a double, and five RBIs as the Rays split the four-game series against the Yankees to secure the season series tie-breaker in the AL East.
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 9
- Huston Street says he’d retire if he was used like a 1970s-style fireman 46
- CC Sabathia looks like a reliever 24
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 58
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 59
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 20
- What a world: Orioles are in first place and Ubaldo Jimenez has been their ace 16
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results 99
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (109)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)