Sep 24, 2010, 5:17 PM EDT
Marc Topkin of the St. Petersburg Times reports that Evan Longoria is out of the Rays’ lineup tonight and could be sidelined for the entire weekend series with the Mariners due to a quadriceps injury suffered while turning a double play against the Yankees yesterday.
Longoria has been absent from the lineup just one previous time this season, way back on May 23. Sean Rodriguez is starting in his place tonight at third base, with Willy Aybar moving into the cleanup spot behind Carl Crawford.
Longoria went 5-for-16 (.313) with a homer, a double, and five RBIs as the Rays split the four-game series against the Yankees to secure the season series tie-breaker in the AL East.
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 3
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 81
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 51
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 7
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 2
- Marlins officially shut down Giancarlo Stanton for the season 6
- Umpire Joe West suspended for one game for his part in the Jonathan Papelbon incident 57
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (90)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)