Sep 24, 2010, 5:17 PM EST
Marc Topkin of the St. Petersburg Times reports that Evan Longoria is out of the Rays’ lineup tonight and could be sidelined for the entire weekend series with the Mariners due to a quadriceps injury suffered while turning a double play against the Yankees yesterday.
Longoria has been absent from the lineup just one previous time this season, way back on May 23. Sean Rodriguez is starting in his place tonight at third base, with Willy Aybar moving into the cleanup spot behind Carl Crawford.
Longoria went 5-for-16 (.313) with a homer, a double, and five RBIs as the Rays split the four-game series against the Yankees to secure the season series tie-breaker in the AL East.
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 30
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 54
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 41
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 47
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 17
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (144)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)