Frank and Jamie update: they're mediating

Sep 24, 2010, 12:33 PM EDT

The McCourt trial is on hold today as the parties meet in a mediation.  Josh over at Dodger Divorce provides a brief rundown of what’s happening and what’s at stake (and if you care about this subject at all you should be reading him every day anyway).

I rarely had good results in mediation when I was practicing. Sometimes because I was a crappy negotiator. Sometimes because my clients were insane.  Sometimes because the mediator himself just didn’t do a good job. Sometimes because the conciliatory nature and unfamiliar mechanics of it all are so hard to get into after you’ve been fighting tooth and nail for weeks. As a result I’m rather skeptical of mediation.

But I think the key thing here is that both sides bled some this week. Frank because his lawyer admitted to switching documents around, which is never a good thing and could conceivably be seen as evidence that he tried to muscle Jamie out of Dodgers ownership through less than kosher methods.  Jamie because, well, let’s face it, her dumb act (“what’s a document?”) simply isn’t plausible, and if you doubt her when she says how ignorant she is about the agreement in question, you must necessarily give less weight to the whole document switching business.

Settlements don’t happen when people are at each others’ throats.  They often do happen when people see their own case get beat up a bit in court, and realize the risks they face.  I’m still not terrible optimistic given that it’s Frank and Jamie we’re talking about and each of them have shown wide, wide streaks of irrationality and greed throughout this saga.  But there is hope.

1. Mr. Heyward - Sep 24, 2010 at 12:41 PM

What a mess. I wonder if they’ll spoil the players, like children of divorced parents often do, and buy them each their own personal shaman, faith-healer, voodoo man. I bet Furcal could really use one of those guys. As a completely unrelated aside, the Times put a sweet article about Bing Crosby “DVR’ing” “The Best Game Ever.” (Wow that is a weird sentence) Pretty sweet since now the MLB will air it this December (ah, capitalism). See: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/24/sports/baseball/24crosby.html?_r=1&hp

2. Chris Fiorentino - Sep 24, 2010 at 1:13 PM

Um…hellooooo Mr. Cerrano…

3. Mr. Heyward - Sep 24, 2010 at 1:33 PM

Nice. I’ve been corrected by Fiorentino, of all people. DAMN! Not sure but I think I’m going to embrace Mr. Cerrano for some reason. Perhaps it’s my kinship with voodoo. I do have a effigy of you, Fiorentino, so beware when your head starts hurting like you have a needle in your brain. But I digress…

4. Chris Fiorentino - Sep 24, 2010 at 1:38 PM

Figured you would enjoy that it was I, the scourge of HBT, who posted that. Don’t forget to make sure that Jobu has his rum and…..uh….rrr…damn, my head. Take it out!!!!! PLEASE TAKE IT OUT!!!!!!!

5. Mr. Heyward - Sep 24, 2010 at 1:59 PM

I wouldn’t say “scourge” as much as a painless, yet infected, carbuncle on HBTs scrotum. I say that with love and respect and a desire to eat a filet mignon cheese steak.

Why is Wren out and Gonzalez is not?
  1. R. Castillo (2573)