Full copy of Game Seven of the 1960 World Series found in Bing Crosby's basement

Sep 24, 2010, 9:10 AM EST

We weren’t expecting this: “a near pristine black-and-white reel of the entire television
broadcast of the deciding game of the 1960 World Series” was found in the wine cellar of Bing Crosby’s home near San Francisco.

Footage of Bill Mazeroski’s home run is all over the place, but the game itself had been thought to have been lost forever. Crosby, however — a minority owner of the Pirates at the time — had a kinescope created of the game and stored it away. Relatives still own the home, and it was recently uncovered. According to the article, it has been transferred to DVD and MLB Network is going to show the game in December.

Which is fabulous, but I have one humble request to the MLB Network folks: show the game with as little commentary and interruption as possible. I love Bob Costas, and I know that he’ll have some good historical insight into the game, but please, try to limit such things to before and after the game and let the Yankees and the Pirates do the talking. It’s supposed to be one of the best games in the history of baseball. If it can’t speak for itself, no game can.

1. Jonny5 - Sep 24, 2010 at 9:22 AM

I reallllly want to see it. Any info on times it’ll air will be appreciated. I assume that hasn’t been planned yet?

2. fiveiron - Sep 24, 2010 at 9:48 AM

When they show it, I hope the “crawl,” under the telecast, with current events is eliminated. That thing ruins a lot of vintage events on MLB network and Classic Sports.

3. BC - Sep 24, 2010 at 10:13 AM

I guess ‘ol Bing liked to get drunk and watch ball games. Good for him!

4. mgmt404 - Sep 24, 2010 at 10:52 AM

This is what I always hoped the MLB Network would be. Middle of winter, its cold and snowing outside, and you get to sit down in your living room and watch baseball. Not just baseball, but some of the greatest baseball games of all time. I can’t wait!

5. Jaysus - Sep 24, 2010 at 11:29 AM

I really want to see this!
    But my fn cable company just took that channel away from me (mid season!!!)

6. Old Gator - Sep 24, 2010 at 11:49 AM

It’s worse on The Weather Channel. It cuts off Nicole Mitchell’s legs. Criminal.

7. Old Gator - Sep 24, 2010 at 11:52 AM

If they transferred it to DVD, I bet it’ll be available on their online store soon after the telecasts. Meanwhile, climb all over the bartender at your local sports bar – the one with the great ribs, I mean – to set aside an evening to show it on da beeg HD screen.
    I want to monitor the suicide rate in Pittsburgh very carefully in the weeks following this telecast. I fear it might push some marginal cases over the edge.

8. Reflex - Sep 24, 2010 at 12:27 PM

Craig, I respected you up until you said “I love Bob Costas”. As bad as announcers typically are, Costas is far and away the worst. I hate listening to that guy with a passion and will mute a game before I hear anymore of his inane mumblings.

9. linfield - Sep 24, 2010 at 2:07 PM

Old Gator, your post about the suicide rate in Pittsburgh makes no sense whatsoever. In reality, this telecast will be enjoyed, especially in Pittsburgh as a reminder of the rich tradition of the Pirates. Whether a club is winning or losing, a telecast about a historic win will always be well received. Can’t think of any real baseball fan who wouldn’t enjoy this special, even Yankees fans.
    Speaking of the Yankees, only that that franchise, along with the Red Sox and Cardinals have won more world titles for their respective home cities than the Pirates. This fact tends to be overlooked because of the horrible losing streak the franchise is experiencing. The five world titles equals the grand total of the Phillies(2), Atlanta Braves(1), San Francisco Giants(0), and Cubs(2). That is significant, any way you want to slice it.

10. IdahoMariner - Sep 24, 2010 at 2:09 PM

please, please, please, just show it without commentary. that would be the ultimate chrismukkah gift for me.

11. Old Gator - Sep 24, 2010 at 4:46 PM

You don’t understand Borg fans very well, do you?

12. linfield - Sep 24, 2010 at 6:09 PM

Yes, I do understand Burg fans very well, that’s why I made the factual statement.

13. Ick McWang - Sep 25, 2010 at 12:46 AM

wait a minute, the pirates were relevant at one point? who’dve thunk it…

14. Old Gator - Sep 25, 2010 at 1:44 AM

I dunno. I know some Dodger fans who couldn’t get past page 2 of DeLillo’s Underworld. I also never met a Borg fan – and I grew up in a houseful of them – who didn’t think of Mazeroski about the same way that Beanbag fans think of Bucky Dent. Maybe some day they’ll be able to watch his moonshot into the net with the kind of equanimity with which you think Borg fans will watch Mazeroski, but I still kinda doubt it.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester