Sep 24, 2010, 9:10 AM EDT
We weren’t expecting this: “a near pristine black-and-white reel of the entire television
broadcast of the deciding game of the 1960 World Series” was found in the wine cellar of Bing Crosby’s home near San Francisco.
Footage of Bill Mazeroski’s home run is all over the place, but the game itself had been thought to have been lost forever. Crosby, however — a minority owner of the Pirates at the time — had a kinescope created of the game and stored it away. Relatives still own the home, and it was recently uncovered. According to the article, it has been transferred to DVD and MLB Network is going to show the game in December.
Which is fabulous, but I have one humble request to the MLB Network folks: show the game with as little commentary and interruption as possible. I love Bob Costas, and I know that he’ll have some good historical insight into the game, but please, try to limit such things to before and after the game and let the Yankees and the Pirates do the talking. It’s supposed to be one of the best games in the history of baseball. If it can’t speak for itself, no game can.
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 17
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 4
- Jake Westbrook feeling lingering discomfort in right elbow 3
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case 62
- Rafael Soriano took back all that stuff he said about Bryce Harper 13
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (117)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (110)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (70)
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games