Sep 24, 2010, 10:48 AM EDT
Yesterday new Arizona general manager Kevin Towers revealed that he’d like to bring in future Hall of Famer and current Cubs special assistant Greg Maddux as the Diamondbacks’ pitching coach or bench coach.
However, just a few hours later Chicago general manager Jim Hendry threw cold water on that idea:
Greg and I have a really good relationship. Obviously Greg’s intent is to stay with the Cubs in 2011, doing exactly what he’s doing now. And I’m sure we’ll have some other expansive duties for him. I’ve had numerous conversations with his since Lou [Piniella] left, including the managerial process. Kevin and I are friends. I’m glad Kevin is back, it didn’t really bother me because I knew what Greg is going to do.
Hendry speaking for Maddux is interesting, as is the assumption that he’d prefer to remain a special assistant to the Cubs than be the Diamondbacks’ pitching coach, but Hendry certainly seems confident about Maddux staying in Chicago.
- Josh Hamilton declares himself ready for the ALDS 3
- Wild Card Game: A’s vs. Royals lineups 14
- Pouliot’s 2014 National League awards picks 20
- HBT Daily: A’s vs. Royals. Jon Lester vs. Big Game James. WHO YA GOT?! 12
- Playoff Reset: The American League Wild Card Game 21
- REPORT: The Astros to name A.J. Hinch their new manager today 24
- Twins fire manager Ron Gardenhire 37
- Pouliot’s 2014 American League awards picks 20
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)