Sep 24, 2010, 6:28 PM EDT
The Yankees announced Friday that they’d start Dustin Moseley against the Red Sox on Sunday night and push back Phil Hughes until Wednesday. Also, going unannounced, but essentially confirmed by the big left-hander himself, is that CC Sabathia will make just one start next week, that coming Friday against Boston.
The Sabathia decision was a given, and it’s also no surprise that Hughes will make just one more start this season. The Yankees see a bigger advantage in getting their starters some extra rest and setting up their rotation for the postseason than in receiving an extra game at home during the ALDS and potentially the ALCS.
If the Yankees fail to claim the AL East, then they’d be guaranteed to open each postseason series on the road, even if they have a better record than the AL Central and AL West champs. The NL pennant winner is already guaranteed homefield advantage in the World Series by virtue of the All-Star Game victory.
The AL’s top three Cy Young contenders all pitched Thursday, putting them in position to make starts Tuesday and Sunday of next week if necessary. However, it’s not likely that any will do so. The Rays will likely back off David Price as well. Felix Hernandez is expected to start Tuesday and could go again Sunday, but the Mariners will probably choose to protect their ace instead.
Hughes is up to 169 1/3 innings for the season after beating the Rays on Tuesday. The Yankees have tried to be careful with him throughout the second half, and he’ll finish up having made just four starts during the month of September.
- How’d he do that? Magician Maddux fooled hitters all the way to Hall 8
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 46
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 35
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 14
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 193
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 22
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 36
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 35
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (193)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)