Sep 24, 2010, 1:34 PM EDT
Yeah, it makes my skin crawl too because Thome is totally awesome and nice and he’s never jerked anyone around and everyone who knows him absolutely loves the guy, but that doesn’t stop someone from making the comparison today:
At the same age as Vikings future hall of fame quarterback Brett Favre,
Thome’s performance this season, in terms of contribution to the Twins,
could be favorably compared to Favre’s last season for the Vikings.
Thome likes the comparison.
“Any time you can have your name thrown in the same mix with
Brett Favre, it’s an honor,” he said. “That’s pretty cool. I guess if
you kind of look at how (the Vikings’) season went last year, yeah.”
Thome is so nice. Even if he felt like every single rational person in the world feels (i.e. Favre is a notch shy of Satan on the evil scale) he’s too damn polite to say it out loud. His mama raised him right.
The fun part of this article, though, is that it starts with speculation on what Thome may do after this season. He says he’s going to play in 2011. Then, when, hit with the hypothetical about whether he’d retire of the Twins won the Series, he says he’d have to think about it.
My guess is that Thome would think about it for five minutes, consider it seriously, and then make a decision that was the best for him and his family and which he’d never come off of or publicize to insane degrees in order to draw attention to himself in a Favre-like fashion.
Then he’s drink a glass of milk and donate money to pay delinquent property taxes on an orphanage or something.
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 0
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 47
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 87
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (89)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (87)