Sep 24, 2010, 1:34 PM EST
Yeah, it makes my skin crawl too because Thome is totally awesome and nice and he’s never jerked anyone around and everyone who knows him absolutely loves the guy, but that doesn’t stop someone from making the comparison today:
At the same age as Vikings future hall of fame quarterback Brett Favre,
Thome’s performance this season, in terms of contribution to the Twins,
could be favorably compared to Favre’s last season for the Vikings.
Thome likes the comparison.
“Any time you can have your name thrown in the same mix with
Brett Favre, it’s an honor,” he said. “That’s pretty cool. I guess if
you kind of look at how (the Vikings’) season went last year, yeah.”
Thome is so nice. Even if he felt like every single rational person in the world feels (i.e. Favre is a notch shy of Satan on the evil scale) he’s too damn polite to say it out loud. His mama raised him right.
The fun part of this article, though, is that it starts with speculation on what Thome may do after this season. He says he’s going to play in 2011. Then, when, hit with the hypothetical about whether he’d retire of the Twins won the Series, he says he’d have to think about it.
My guess is that Thome would think about it for five minutes, consider it seriously, and then make a decision that was the best for him and his family and which he’d never come off of or publicize to insane degrees in order to draw attention to himself in a Favre-like fashion.
Then he’s drink a glass of milk and donate money to pay delinquent property taxes on an orphanage or something.
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 8
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 255
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 16
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 85
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 49
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 130
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 66
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training 113
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (255)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (130)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (113)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Gregg Zaun says young players should be physically abused and hazed by veterans. So they can learn respect. (105)