Sep 24, 2010, 1:34 PM EDT
Yeah, it makes my skin crawl too because Thome is totally awesome and nice and he’s never jerked anyone around and everyone who knows him absolutely loves the guy, but that doesn’t stop someone from making the comparison today:
At the same age as Vikings future hall of fame quarterback Brett Favre,
Thome’s performance this season, in terms of contribution to the Twins,
could be favorably compared to Favre’s last season for the Vikings.
Thome likes the comparison.
“Any time you can have your name thrown in the same mix with
Brett Favre, it’s an honor,” he said. “That’s pretty cool. I guess if
you kind of look at how (the Vikings’) season went last year, yeah.”
Thome is so nice. Even if he felt like every single rational person in the world feels (i.e. Favre is a notch shy of Satan on the evil scale) he’s too damn polite to say it out loud. His mama raised him right.
The fun part of this article, though, is that it starts with speculation on what Thome may do after this season. He says he’s going to play in 2011. Then, when, hit with the hypothetical about whether he’d retire of the Twins won the Series, he says he’d have to think about it.
My guess is that Thome would think about it for five minutes, consider it seriously, and then make a decision that was the best for him and his family and which he’d never come off of or publicize to insane degrees in order to draw attention to himself in a Favre-like fashion.
Then he’s drink a glass of milk and donate money to pay delinquent property taxes on an orphanage or something.
- A fan died at Turner Field after falling from the upper deck 0
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 8
- Vin Scully says 2016 will be his last season of broadcasting 23
- Edwin Encarnacion slugs three home runs as Blue Jays thrash Tigers 17
- Mark Teixeira says he’s having “serious pain” when he tries to run 13
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 23
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 43
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 11
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (264)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)