Sep 24, 2010, 1:34 PM EST
Yeah, it makes my skin crawl too because Thome is totally awesome and nice and he’s never jerked anyone around and everyone who knows him absolutely loves the guy, but that doesn’t stop someone from making the comparison today:
At the same age as Vikings future hall of fame quarterback Brett Favre,
Thome’s performance this season, in terms of contribution to the Twins,
could be favorably compared to Favre’s last season for the Vikings.
Thome likes the comparison.
“Any time you can have your name thrown in the same mix with
Brett Favre, it’s an honor,” he said. “That’s pretty cool. I guess if
you kind of look at how (the Vikings’) season went last year, yeah.”
Thome is so nice. Even if he felt like every single rational person in the world feels (i.e. Favre is a notch shy of Satan on the evil scale) he’s too damn polite to say it out loud. His mama raised him right.
The fun part of this article, though, is that it starts with speculation on what Thome may do after this season. He says he’s going to play in 2011. Then, when, hit with the hypothetical about whether he’d retire of the Twins won the Series, he says he’d have to think about it.
My guess is that Thome would think about it for five minutes, consider it seriously, and then make a decision that was the best for him and his family and which he’d never come off of or publicize to insane degrees in order to draw attention to himself in a Favre-like fashion.
Then he’s drink a glass of milk and donate money to pay delinquent property taxes on an orphanage or something.
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 118
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 10
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 30
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 35
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 82
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (128)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (93)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (82)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)