Sep 24, 2010, 11:47 AM EDT
Selected by Arizona with the sixth overall pick in June’s draft, Texas A&M right-hander Barret Loux was declared a free agent by MLB when a pre-signing physical exam revealed a torn labrum and the Diamondbacks backed out of a $2 million deal.
Now free to sign whenever and with whomever, Loux threw yesterday in front of scouts from approximately 15 teams, with Brian McTaggart of MLB.com listing the Astros, Brewers, Marlins, Rangers, Cubs, Twins, Giants, Phillies, and Mariners among those on hand.
Astros assistant general manager and scouting director Bobby Heck described Houston’s interest in Loux as “sincere” and noted that several other teams could have the budget to bid for him after failing to sign their own first-round pick. San Diego and Milwaukee definitely fit that description. Loux is unlikely to end up with the same $2 million he would’ve gotten from Arizona, but it sounds like he’ll still get a nice chunk of change.
Meanwhile, the Diamondbacks used that money to go over the MLB-recommended “slot” bonuses for other draftees and will receive the seventh overall pick in next year’s draft as compensation for not signing Loux.
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 1
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 10
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 25
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 11
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 79
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 92
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 72
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (110)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (92)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)