Sep 24, 2010, 11:47 AM EDT
Selected by Arizona with the sixth overall pick in June’s draft, Texas A&M right-hander Barret Loux was declared a free agent by MLB when a pre-signing physical exam revealed a torn labrum and the Diamondbacks backed out of a $2 million deal.
Now free to sign whenever and with whomever, Loux threw yesterday in front of scouts from approximately 15 teams, with Brian McTaggart of MLB.com listing the Astros, Brewers, Marlins, Rangers, Cubs, Twins, Giants, Phillies, and Mariners among those on hand.
Astros assistant general manager and scouting director Bobby Heck described Houston’s interest in Loux as “sincere” and noted that several other teams could have the budget to bid for him after failing to sign their own first-round pick. San Diego and Milwaukee definitely fit that description. Loux is unlikely to end up with the same $2 million he would’ve gotten from Arizona, but it sounds like he’ll still get a nice chunk of change.
Meanwhile, the Diamondbacks used that money to go over the MLB-recommended “slot” bonuses for other draftees and will receive the seventh overall pick in next year’s draft as compensation for not signing Loux.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 29
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 14
- Mets blow out Marlins, move past Nationals for first place in NL East 24
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 73
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 79
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 65
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 13
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (206)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)