Sep 24, 2010, 11:47 AM EST
Selected by Arizona with the sixth overall pick in June’s draft, Texas A&M right-hander Barret Loux was declared a free agent by MLB when a pre-signing physical exam revealed a torn labrum and the Diamondbacks backed out of a $2 million deal.
Now free to sign whenever and with whomever, Loux threw yesterday in front of scouts from approximately 15 teams, with Brian McTaggart of MLB.com listing the Astros, Brewers, Marlins, Rangers, Cubs, Twins, Giants, Phillies, and Mariners among those on hand.
Astros assistant general manager and scouting director Bobby Heck described Houston’s interest in Loux as “sincere” and noted that several other teams could have the budget to bid for him after failing to sign their own first-round pick. San Diego and Milwaukee definitely fit that description. Loux is unlikely to end up with the same $2 million he would’ve gotten from Arizona, but it sounds like he’ll still get a nice chunk of change.
Meanwhile, the Diamondbacks used that money to go over the MLB-recommended “slot” bonuses for other draftees and will receive the seventh overall pick in next year’s draft as compensation for not signing Loux.
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 8
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 30
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 92
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 44
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 16
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (144)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (103)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)