Sep 24, 2010, 11:47 AM EST
Selected by Arizona with the sixth overall pick in June’s draft, Texas A&M right-hander Barret Loux was declared a free agent by MLB when a pre-signing physical exam revealed a torn labrum and the Diamondbacks backed out of a $2 million deal.
Now free to sign whenever and with whomever, Loux threw yesterday in front of scouts from approximately 15 teams, with Brian McTaggart of MLB.com listing the Astros, Brewers, Marlins, Rangers, Cubs, Twins, Giants, Phillies, and Mariners among those on hand.
Astros assistant general manager and scouting director Bobby Heck described Houston’s interest in Loux as “sincere” and noted that several other teams could have the budget to bid for him after failing to sign their own first-round pick. San Diego and Milwaukee definitely fit that description. Loux is unlikely to end up with the same $2 million he would’ve gotten from Arizona, but it sounds like he’ll still get a nice chunk of change.
Meanwhile, the Diamondbacks used that money to go over the MLB-recommended “slot” bonuses for other draftees and will receive the seventh overall pick in next year’s draft as compensation for not signing Loux.
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 66
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 121
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 79
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 156
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal 135
- Done Deal: Giancarlo Stanton and the Marlins agree on the biggest contract in baseball history 124
- Biggest deal in baseball history: Giancarlo Stanton close to 13-year, $325 million contract with Marlins (182)
- So Curt Schilling spent his evening arguing against the theory of evolution (165)
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (156)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)