Sep 24, 2010, 4:00 PM EST
Jeff Francoeur had some really nice words to say about Bobby Cox in the AJC. So nice that I’m not even going to rip on Francoeur for anything.
And funny too. Francoeur tells a story about the first time he was ever ejected from a game. It was early 2006. As soon as Frenchie got tossed, Bobby got tossed. The two of them were sitting in the clubhouse together. Frenchie was worked up. He asked Cox what he should do. After Cox told him to chill out and have a beer, he said that he’d probably have to pay a fine:
“And then you’ll probably have to write a $500 check. Or you can do what
I do, write a $10,000 one and tell them when it runs out, let me know.”
Cox has 158 career ejections. I’d like him to get four more in his last few games so he can have a whole season’s worth of them, but I suppose he’s done enough to advance the interests of umpire antagonism in his time.
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- The Cleveland Plain Dealer comes out strongly against Chief Wahoo (116)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (87)
- Report: Harold Reynolds, Tom Verducci to join Joe Buck for World Series booth at Fox (73)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)