Quote of the Day (from some day in 2006): Bobby Cox

Sep 24, 2010, 4:00 PM EDT

Jeff Francoeur had some really nice words to say about Bobby Cox in the AJC. So nice that I’m not even going to rip on Francoeur for anything.

And funny too.  Francoeur tells a story about the first time he was ever ejected from a game. It was early 2006. As soon as Frenchie got tossed, Bobby got tossed.  The two of them were sitting in the clubhouse together. Frenchie was worked up.  He asked Cox what he should do.  After Cox told him to chill out and have a beer, he said that he’d probably have to pay a fine:

“And then you’ll probably have to write a $500 check. Or you can do what
I do, write a $10,000 one and tell them when it runs out, let me know.”

Cox has 158 career ejections.  I’d like him to get four more in his last few games so he can have a whole season’s worth of them, but I suppose he’s done enough to advance the interests of umpire antagonism in his time.

1. Jonny5 - Sep 24, 2010 at 4:20 PM

I’ve never heard an ill word spoken about Bobby cox from one of his former or current players. That’s saying something imo. And his last name just about rocks more than any other.

2. Omega - Sep 24, 2010 at 5:06 PM

Bobby Cox is a beautiful human being…

3. Mr. Heyward - Sep 24, 2010 at 5:24 PM

Beauty is indeed in the eye of the beholder. But yeah man, do I love cox. Ok, I’m done punning for the day.

4. f*ck la - Sep 24, 2010 at 6:13 PM

that didnt sound gay

5. Secretary Cleary - Sep 26, 2010 at 2:09 AM

So benevolent of you Shysterball to tread ligthly on your boy Francouer. Where has this newfound love/respect come from?

6. Craig Calcaterra - Sep 26, 2010 at 8:23 AM

Well, since he’s the one who told the good Cox story, I have to take it a little easy on him. If he screws up in the playoffs, however,the truce is over.

Jackie Robinson Day is bittersweet