Sep 24, 2010, 9:37 PM EST
Earlier today, it sounded like the Padres were going to have Felipe Lopez for the stretch drive. Not anymore.
According to Scott Miller of CBSSports.com, Lopez has “vetoed” the Padres’ waiver claim and signed on to play a meaningless week of baseball with the Red Sox, instead.
Lopez, 30, was released by the Cardinals this week after batting just .231/.310/.340 with seven home runs, 36 RBI and eight stolen bases over 376 at-bats. The team initially said he was released in order to play some of their younger players, however Cardinals general manager John Mozeliak later admitted that Lopez repeatedly showed up late to games.
It’s certainly an odd match, especially with the Padres in the middle of a pennant race, but one industry source tells Miller that the Red Sox signed him with the idea of a compensatory draft pick in mind. You see, Lopez currently projects to be a Type B free agent this winter. Should the Red Sox offer him arbitration and see him sign with another team, they would receive a supplemental pick in next year’s draft.
There’s always the chance that Lopez will accept arbitration, given that he doesn’t have the best reputation around the game, but at least the Red Sox have several weeks to mull over the possibility.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 10
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 152
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 33
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (154)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (132)