Stan Kasten . . . and the Mets?

Sep 24, 2010, 1:03 PM EST

The New York Times’ David Waldstein speculates today that the Mets would be wise to look into hiring Stan Kasten, who resigned as President of the Nats yesterday.  He’s got a great track record, Waldstein says.  He’s from New Jersey!

Both of which are true. Also true is that, if Jeff Wilpon takes it upon himself to micromanage baseball operations to such a degree that no reputable GM would want to take the job, why on Earth would he ever consider bringing in a guy who basically does the same thing he does, but has done it much, much better over the years?

I’m not trying to trash Waldstein’s premise here — I like “what if” thought experiments like this. It just strikes me that Mets fans — and in Waldstein’s case, Mets followers — are entering into some psychological state, borne of suffering under the Wilpons, in which they’ll entertain any thought that could solve the team’s problems, no matter how unrealistic it is.

It’s not their fault.  They’re victims here.

1. Professor Longnose - Sep 24, 2010 at 1:33 PM

Met fans need to go the Steinbrenner route–someone has to accuse the Wilpons of a crime that will get them banned from baseball for a couple of years, so that the organization can develop a winner.

2. Gobias Industries - Sep 24, 2010 at 1:48 PM

Funny you should mention that. Why, just last evening, Fred and Jeff Wilpon carjacked me. After they mugged a lil’ ol’ lady. And held up a liquor store. And strangled a newborn kitten. Is that enough for a ban, Selig? I can keep going if I have to.

3. Joe Tetreault - Sep 24, 2010 at 1:56 PM

Mistahh Calcatehhhha,
    You answer your own question:
    “why on Earth would he ever consider bringing in a guy who basically does the same thing he does, but has done it much, much better over the years?”
    The having done it much better goes a long way. I made the point on my personal blog rather than sully BizofBaseball with my ramblings, that Kasten and the Mets are a good fit on the basis that the Mets have an interesting bunch of young players, a new stadium and deep pockets. All of those work as part of the Kasten success recipe. Install a GM like DiPoto, who seemingly has learned from the Haren fiasco, and who will know enough to take orders from Kasten and you have a good start at fixing the player personnel problems in Queens. Matt Cerrone was kicking the idea around too at his blog. It doesn’t seem crazy to me. Help me out. Why is the idea so unrealistic as to defy explanation of its fancifulness?

4. Craig Calcaterra - Sep 24, 2010 at 1:59 PM

Because Jeff Wilpon is a control freak. Why would he bring someone in that will challenge his authority to micromanage the Mets?
    I agree he’d be great for the Mets, but I see no way that the Wilpons would, all of a sudden, change their MO and delegate decision making authority to smart people.

5. Joe Tetreault - Sep 24, 2010 at 2:13 PM

Okay, fair cop. I’m giving them way too much credit in suggesting that after two decades in the wilderness with only the briefest sight of the promised land they might want to change course. :)
    I should know better than to link rational thought with the Mets!

6. Omega - Sep 24, 2010 at 5:31 PM

Stocholm Syndrome?, perhaps?

7. Old Gator - Sep 25, 2010 at 1:39 AM

Professah:
    Just added a baby softshelled turtle to my aquarium and couldn’t help naming him after you: http://www.vanishing-world.com/images/uploads/Frogs_015.jpg

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (5063)