Sep 24, 2010, 11:01 AM EDT
From the Department of Not Particularly Surprising Affairs, the Daily News reports that the 2011 Mets are gong to look a lot like the 2010 Mets:
familiar with the team’s thinking say the Mets believe they have too
much money committed to their roster next season – at least $130
million, much of which will go to players who have not performed – to
seriously consider spending heavily on free agents.
Off the table, Andy Martino says, is Cliff Lee, Carl Crawford and Jayson Werth.
Werth being off the table is no great loss, inasmuch as the Mets did the “sign the corner outfielder on the wrong side of 30″ thing last year and found it wanting. Lee and Crawford would be nice additions, though. But again, we’ve suspected that the Mets won’t be playing that game this winter for a while. Having it confirmed like this, however, has to be somewhat deflating.
The Mets are caught in a no-man’s land between being a high-payroll contender and a rebuilding team with a bright future. If they can’t jack the payroll even higher in an effort to spend their way out of this mess — which, while inadvisable and distasteful could, theoretically, work — then they should tear things down to the foundation as soon as possible and start over.
- Manny Machado could join the Orioles as soon as next weekend 3
- Michael Pineda suspended 10 games for “foreign substance” 45
- Doc Gooden calls B.S. on people saying pine tar is just to help pitchers get a grip on the ball 87
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating 126
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Josh Lueke is a rapist. How often does that bear repeating? (201)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (183)
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension (156)
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating (126)
- Chipper Jones chimed in on the Carlos Gomez incident (111)