The Padres claim Felipe Lopez on waivers

Sep 24, 2010, 2:04 PM EST

The Padres have fundamentally altered the balance of power in the NL West by claiming Felipe Lopez off waivers. The Cardinals released him, so if no one else with a worse record than San Diego wanted him, he’s theirs.

I’m pretty sure you have 48 hours to make a waiver claim.  Since it’s Felipe Lopez we’re talking about, however, I guess the Padres would be cool to take 51 hours because, like, who wants to be a slave to schedules, man?

I can’t really see what the Padres want with Lopez — he hasn’t hit this year, has a bad glove and has a terrible attitude — but he’s theirs if they want him I assume, because who else is going to claim him?

1. birdmancometh - Sep 24, 2010 at 2:24 PM

Is Eckstein a better option at second Craig?

2. Chris Fiorentino - Sep 24, 2010 at 2:31 PM

You can almost smell the desperation in this move. Totally crazy. Dude was cut because he’s a bad teammate. Who would even take this idiot? He’s not even all that good. Desperate times in San Diego I guess…

3. klbader - Sep 24, 2010 at 2:56 PM

No way! Echstein is a short, scrappy winner. Unlike Felix Hernandez, who is merely a big, dominant, talented loser.

4. birdmancometh - Sep 24, 2010 at 2:59 PM

You sound like the A-holes that are usually at PFT.

5. birdmancometh - Sep 24, 2010 at 3:06 PM

Not everybody can have a payroll as high as the Phillies.

6. Chris Fiorentino - Sep 24, 2010 at 3:10 PM

Ouch man…relax. Sorry I dissed the Padres. No matter what the payroll, this is a pretty odd pickup. Why don’t you rip Craig for saying almost exactly what I said…albeit in a nicer manner?

7. birdmancometh - Sep 24, 2010 at 3:19 PM

Sorry, nobody ever sticks up for the little guy in baseball. It just seems dumb to criticize the Padres after what they’ve accomplished this season. Makes me emotional.

8. skitchx48 - Sep 24, 2010 at 5:43 PM

Yeah, no one is sticking up for this guy

1. R. Castillo (3270)