Sep 25, 2010, 1:20 PM EST
We can scratch another name off the list of candidates to be the next Cubs manager.
Citing “personal and professional reasons,” Bob Brenly has withdrawn his name from consideration for the team’s managerial position, according to ESPNChicago.com.
“With all due respect to the organization, to the Ricketts family and to
Jim, I just didn’t feel at this particular time that this was a good
fit for me,” Brenly said. “I’ve said all along that I would love to get
back on the field if I felt the situation was right, but for personal
and professional reasons, this is not the right time for me.”
Brenly said he has been in contact with other teams about their managerial vacancies, but would be open to returning to his job as Cubs broadcaster next season.
The Cubs have already interviewed former Indians manager Eric Wedge and Triple-A Iowa Ryne Sandberg, while current interim manager Mike Quade, Nationals coach Pat Listach, former Diamondbacks manager Bob Melvin and former Mariners manager Don Wakamatsu, among others, are also under consideration for the position. Former Marlins manager Fredi Gonzalez also recently withdrew his name for consideration for the Cubs job, as he is the odds-on favorite to replace Bobby Cox in Atlanta.
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 43
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 36
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 117
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 47
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 17
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (144)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (117)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)