Sep 25, 2010, 1:20 PM EDT
We can scratch another name off the list of candidates to be the next Cubs manager.
Citing “personal and professional reasons,” Bob Brenly has withdrawn his name from consideration for the team’s managerial position, according to ESPNChicago.com.
“With all due respect to the organization, to the Ricketts family and to
Jim, I just didn’t feel at this particular time that this was a good
fit for me,” Brenly said. “I’ve said all along that I would love to get
back on the field if I felt the situation was right, but for personal
and professional reasons, this is not the right time for me.”
Brenly said he has been in contact with other teams about their managerial vacancies, but would be open to returning to his job as Cubs broadcaster next season.
The Cubs have already interviewed former Indians manager Eric Wedge and Triple-A Iowa Ryne Sandberg, while current interim manager Mike Quade, Nationals coach Pat Listach, former Diamondbacks manager Bob Melvin and former Mariners manager Don Wakamatsu, among others, are also under consideration for the position. Former Marlins manager Fredi Gonzalez also recently withdrew his name for consideration for the Cubs job, as he is the odds-on favorite to replace Bobby Cox in Atlanta.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 10
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 8
- Mets blow out Marlins, move past Nationals for first place in NL East 17
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 72
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 87
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 79
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 65
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 13
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)