Sep 25, 2010, 3:07 PM EDT
UPDATE: According to Joe Strauss of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, Hawksworth suffered severe lacerations to his mouth and upper lip. Carrie Muskat of MLB.com reports that he was taken to the hospital for X-rays.
2:57 PM: According to Carrie Muskat of MLB.com, Blake Hawksworth was forced to leave this afternoon’s game against the Cubs after being hit in the face by a comebacker off the bat of Sam Fuld in the fifth inning.
Hawksworth was struck in the mouth by the ball and immediately fell to the mound. There was quite a bit of blood, but the good news is that Hawksworth didn’t lose consciousness and was able to walk off the field under his own power.
It looks like he managed to avoid any serious injury, but it wouldn’t be surprising if he is shut down for the rest of the season. We’ll pass along an update when we get it.
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 15
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 48
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 10
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59
- Gary Nolan one of many careers saved by Dr. Frank Jobe 17