Sep 25, 2010, 3:07 PM EDT
UPDATE: According to Joe Strauss of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, Hawksworth suffered severe lacerations to his mouth and upper lip. Carrie Muskat of MLB.com reports that he was taken to the hospital for X-rays.
2:57 PM: According to Carrie Muskat of MLB.com, Blake Hawksworth was forced to leave this afternoon’s game against the Cubs after being hit in the face by a comebacker off the bat of Sam Fuld in the fifth inning.
Hawksworth was struck in the mouth by the ball and immediately fell to the mound. There was quite a bit of blood, but the good news is that Hawksworth didn’t lose consciousness and was able to walk off the field under his own power.
It looks like he managed to avoid any serious injury, but it wouldn’t be surprising if he is shut down for the rest of the season. We’ll pass along an update when we get it.
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 7
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 24
- Alex Rodriguez hit his 657th career home run 43
- Let’s all just stare at Kris Bryant’s numbers for a while 27
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 39
- The wait is over: The Cubs are calling up top prospect Kris Bryant on Friday 99
- Carlos Gomez headed to disabled list with hamstring injury 11
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract 153
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (125)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)