Sep 25, 2010, 12:35 PM EST
Maybe, but let’s start with what we know to be true.
Tim Lincecum allowed just two hits over eight innings of one-run ball in a 2-1 win over the Rockies last night. As a result, the Giants enter play Saturday with a one-game advantage over the Padres in the win column while the fading Rockies sit 3 1/2 games back in the division and four back in the Wild Card. Barring a minor miracle, the Rockies are just about done.
OK, here’s the (potential) funny business. You may recall that earlier this week, Craig informed us about some chatter that the Rockies may be slipping some non-humidor balls into circulation at opportune moments. Only adding to the controversy is the fact that the Rockies have a 51-25 (.671) record at home and a lowly 31-46 (.403) record on the road this season.
The Giants haven’t issued a formal complaint in regards to the humidor, but Lincecum may have suspected something during the sixth inning of last night’s game. The Giants’ ace was spotted evidently mouthing the words “juiced balls” as he tossed a ball back to home plate umpire Laz Diaz. Mark Townsend of Bugs and Cranks has video of moment in question, though probably for a limited time only. It sure looks it.
According to Jeff Fletcher of AOL Fanhouse, Lincecum did not immediately respond to a request for clarification on what he may have said, but for now, the conspiracy theory lives on.
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 137
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 10
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 31
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 36
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 82
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (148)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (94)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (82)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)