Sep 25, 2010, 4:30 PM EDT
An update on the Tim Lincecum story from earlier, MLB has made some swift and dramatic changes to the procedure involving baseballs at Coors Field after the the Giants issued a formal complaint, according to John Shea of the San Francisco Chronicle.
immediately, the umpires are expected to closely monitor the process in
which balls are humidified, transferred to the Rockies’ dugout and
ultimately used on the field of play.
did get a complaint from the Giants,” MLB spokesman Pat Courtney said.
“There’s going to be a change to the protocol. From the point balls come
out of the humidor to the umpires’ room and into the dugout, there will
be visual inspected at all times.”
Courtney wouldn’t acknowledge that the Rockies actually took part in any wrongdoing, but simply said, “They said there was a concern about the proceedings, so we changed them.”
It’s pretty remarkable that the umpires weren’t involved all along, but this should at least go a long way towards squashing the conspiracy talk. Well done, MLB. With that said, let’s watch some pennant race baseball.
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 76
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 75
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 81
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 69
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 115
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 55
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (116)