Sep 25, 2010, 4:30 PM EDT
An update on the Tim Lincecum story from earlier, MLB has made some swift and dramatic changes to the procedure involving baseballs at Coors Field after the the Giants issued a formal complaint, according to John Shea of the San Francisco Chronicle.
immediately, the umpires are expected to closely monitor the process in
which balls are humidified, transferred to the Rockies’ dugout and
ultimately used on the field of play.
did get a complaint from the Giants,” MLB spokesman Pat Courtney said.
“There’s going to be a change to the protocol. From the point balls come
out of the humidor to the umpires’ room and into the dugout, there will
be visual inspected at all times.”
Courtney wouldn’t acknowledge that the Rockies actually took part in any wrongdoing, but simply said, “They said there was a concern about the proceedings, so we changed them.”
It’s pretty remarkable that the umpires weren’t involved all along, but this should at least go a long way towards squashing the conspiracy talk. Well done, MLB. With that said, let’s watch some pennant race baseball.
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 0
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 21
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week 66
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 78
- MLB “actively studying” fan safety; Phillies plan to expand netting at Citizens Bank Park 28
- Marlins might move in and lower the fences at Marlins Park 26
- Astros beat the suddenly skidding Yankees, top last year’s win total 30
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week 134
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (122)
- Let’s all argue about team chemistry again (118)