Sep 25, 2010, 7:43 PM EDT
Buoyed by a solid performance from starter Derek Holland and a game-winning eighth-inning home run by first baseman Jorge Cantu, the Rangers became the second MLB team to wrap up a spot in the playoffs Saturday with a 4-3 victory over the A’s.
The Twins grabbed the American League Central crown earlier this week.
Congratulations are in order for manager Ron Washington, who has quickly become one of the more well-respected skippers in the game. And general manager Jon Daniels, a great and young front-office mind.
The Rangers haven’t been to the playoffs since 1999, when they lost in the ALDS. They haven’t made it to the ALCS or beyond in the 49-year history of the franchise.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (241)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (130)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (109)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)