Sep 25, 2010, 7:43 PM EDT
Buoyed by a solid performance from starter Derek Holland and a game-winning eighth-inning home run by first baseman Jorge Cantu, the Rangers became the second MLB team to wrap up a spot in the playoffs Saturday with a 4-3 victory over the A’s.
The Twins grabbed the American League Central crown earlier this week.
Congratulations are in order for manager Ron Washington, who has quickly become one of the more well-respected skippers in the game. And general manager Jon Daniels, a great and young front-office mind.
The Rangers haven’t been to the playoffs since 1999, when they lost in the ALDS. They haven’t made it to the ALCS or beyond in the 49-year history of the franchise.
- Two radio stations in San Francisco are refusing to play Lorde’s “Royals” during the World Series 10
- Royals tab James Shields, Yordano Ventura to start first two games of World Series 1
- Brian Roberts is retiring 13
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? 115
- Video: Watch Travis Ishikawa’s pennant-winning homer 13
- Travis Ishikawa sends Giants to World Series on walk-off three-run homer 79
- NLCS, Game 5: Cardinals vs. Giants lineups 30
- This team. 30
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (117)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Andrew Friedman leaving the Rays to take over as Dodgers President of Baseball Operations (83)
- Quit making a big deal out of anomalies. Most of what happens is meaningless. (82)
- Travis Ishikawa sends Giants to World Series on walk-off three-run homer (79)