Sep 25, 2010, 7:43 PM EST
Buoyed by a solid performance from starter Derek Holland and a game-winning eighth-inning home run by first baseman Jorge Cantu, the Rangers became the second MLB team to wrap up a spot in the playoffs Saturday with a 4-3 victory over the A’s.
The Twins grabbed the American League Central crown earlier this week.
Congratulations are in order for manager Ron Washington, who has quickly become one of the more well-respected skippers in the game. And general manager Jon Daniels, a great and young front-office mind.
The Rangers haven’t been to the playoffs since 1999, when they lost in the ALDS. They haven’t made it to the ALCS or beyond in the 49-year history of the franchise.
- Not everyone is happy about home plate collisions being taken away (135)
- Managers, GMs to meet today to discuss the abolition of home plate collisions (113)
- Hall of Fame voting expert: Greg Maddux makes it. No one else does. (105)
- Robinson Cano, Yankees trade barbs about “disrespect” (104)
- Two thoughts about the elimination of home plate collisions (95)