Sep 25, 2010, 7:43 PM EDT
Buoyed by a solid performance from starter Derek Holland and a game-winning eighth-inning home run by first baseman Jorge Cantu, the Rangers became the second MLB team to wrap up a spot in the playoffs Saturday with a 4-3 victory over the A’s.
The Twins grabbed the American League Central crown earlier this week.
Congratulations are in order for manager Ron Washington, who has quickly become one of the more well-respected skippers in the game. And general manager Jon Daniels, a great and young front-office mind.
The Rangers haven’t been to the playoffs since 1999, when they lost in the ALDS. They haven’t made it to the ALCS or beyond in the 49-year history of the franchise.
- Wings stun Hawks again, take 2-1 series lead
- Posnanski: Once the best, Pujols now irrelevant
- Sports world keeps eye on Oklahoma tornado
- PBT: Vogel downplays war of words with LeBron
- HBT: Camera catches Marlins' Sanabia with spitball
- PBT: Howard reportedly frustrated with D'Antoni
- PBT: Durant, Thunder send support to tornado victims