Sep 25, 2010, 9:58 AM EDT
After Kevin Towers was hired as Diamondbacks general manager earlier this week, it was reported that former interim general manager Jerry DiPoto was resigning from the organization. According to Jon Paul Morosi of FOXSports.com, the D-Backs still haven’t given up hope in retaining him.
Multiple sources are telling Morosi that the Diamondbacks are in “active discussions” with DiPoto about remaining with the organization in a high-level position. One source with close knowledge of the talks believes there is an “80 percent” chance that DiPoto will stay.
Diamondbacks president Derrick Hall said late Friday that he was optimistic about the club’s chances of retaining DiPoto.
“I am hopeful he will stay, because I believe he belongs here and we all want him here.”
It might not be the worst career move for DiPoto. While there will be plenty of managerial openings this winter, the same can’t be said for general managers. As Morosi writes, the only logical openings will be with the Mets, and perhaps the Pirates. Neither are ideal landing spots, especially for someone’s first full-time GM gig, so it might not make sense to hold out for a year or two while learning from and collaborating with one of the best baseball minds in the business.
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 6
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 6
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 63
- Pedro Martinez wonders if bad chemistry is the reason the Tigers and Mariners are out of contention 48
- Vote of non-confidence: Reds owner says manager Bryan Price won’t be fired before the season is over 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 86
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 10
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 40
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (259)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)