Sep 25, 2010, 9:58 AM EST
After Kevin Towers was hired as Diamondbacks general manager earlier this week, it was reported that former interim general manager Jerry DiPoto was resigning from the organization. According to Jon Paul Morosi of FOXSports.com, the D-Backs still haven’t given up hope in retaining him.
Multiple sources are telling Morosi that the Diamondbacks are in “active discussions” with DiPoto about remaining with the organization in a high-level position. One source with close knowledge of the talks believes there is an “80 percent” chance that DiPoto will stay.
Diamondbacks president Derrick Hall said late Friday that he was optimistic about the club’s chances of retaining DiPoto.
“I am hopeful he will stay, because I believe he belongs here and we all want him here.”
It might not be the worst career move for DiPoto. While there will be plenty of managerial openings this winter, the same can’t be said for general managers. As Morosi writes, the only logical openings will be with the Mets, and perhaps the Pirates. Neither are ideal landing spots, especially for someone’s first full-time GM gig, so it might not make sense to hold out for a year or two while learning from and collaborating with one of the best baseball minds in the business.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 75
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)