Sep 25, 2010, 9:58 AM EDT
After Kevin Towers was hired as Diamondbacks general manager earlier this week, it was reported that former interim general manager Jerry DiPoto was resigning from the organization. According to Jon Paul Morosi of FOXSports.com, the D-Backs still haven’t given up hope in retaining him.
Multiple sources are telling Morosi that the Diamondbacks are in “active discussions” with DiPoto about remaining with the organization in a high-level position. One source with close knowledge of the talks believes there is an “80 percent” chance that DiPoto will stay.
Diamondbacks president Derrick Hall said late Friday that he was optimistic about the club’s chances of retaining DiPoto.
“I am hopeful he will stay, because I believe he belongs here and we all want him here.”
It might not be the worst career move for DiPoto. While there will be plenty of managerial openings this winter, the same can’t be said for general managers. As Morosi writes, the only logical openings will be with the Mets, and perhaps the Pirates. Neither are ideal landing spots, especially for someone’s first full-time GM gig, so it might not make sense to hold out for a year or two while learning from and collaborating with one of the best baseball minds in the business.
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 5
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 29
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 47
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. 68
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM 75
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 46
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 12
- Huston Street says he’d retire if he was used like a 1970s-style fireman 51
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)