Sep 25, 2010, 9:58 AM EST
After Kevin Towers was hired as Diamondbacks general manager earlier this week, it was reported that former interim general manager Jerry DiPoto was resigning from the organization. According to Jon Paul Morosi of FOXSports.com, the D-Backs still haven’t given up hope in retaining him.
Multiple sources are telling Morosi that the Diamondbacks are in “active discussions” with DiPoto about remaining with the organization in a high-level position. One source with close knowledge of the talks believes there is an “80 percent” chance that DiPoto will stay.
Diamondbacks president Derrick Hall said late Friday that he was optimistic about the club’s chances of retaining DiPoto.
“I am hopeful he will stay, because I believe he belongs here and we all want him here.”
It might not be the worst career move for DiPoto. While there will be plenty of managerial openings this winter, the same can’t be said for general managers. As Morosi writes, the only logical openings will be with the Mets, and perhaps the Pirates. Neither are ideal landing spots, especially for someone’s first full-time GM gig, so it might not make sense to hold out for a year or two while learning from and collaborating with one of the best baseball minds in the business.
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 47
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 38
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 173
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 34
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 52
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (173)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (77)