Yankees bring in ex-NFL coach Tony Dungy for pep talk

Sep 25, 2010, 6:40 PM EDT

According to the Associated Press, the Yankees brought in former Super Bowl-winning coach Tony Dungy to speak with the team in a closed-door meeting before Saturday’s game against the Red Sox.

Phil Hughes said the subject matter of the speech was “more life experiences” than sports, so this wasn’t a strictly “rah-rah” affair. Yankees manager Joe Girardi had former Olympic sprinter Michael Johnson address the team earlier this season and had been trying to line up Dungy for quite some time now.

“I admire him tremendously for his faith, his beliefs, the type of man
he is, the type of family man, the type of coach,” Girardi said. “I’ve
read his books. I subscribe to his website.”

As inspirational as Dungy might be, it hasn’t helped them much so far. The Yankees finally got their first hit off Jon Lester in the sixth inning, and as of this writing, they currently trail the Red Sox by the score of 6-0 in the bottom of the seventh inning.

1. Glenn - Sep 25, 2010 at 6:55 PM

I would want Dungy to give me a pep talk, if it involved my insomnia. At least there would be no swearing.

2. John - Sep 25, 2010 at 7:06 PM

I can’t believe we’re even talking about CC for Cy Young with the way Lester has been pitching. Granted, Felix should win it…but there’s another big market lefty with a lot of wins with even better numbers than CC 4 hours down the road. Hello? Hello? Anybody out there?

3. Ditto65 - Sep 25, 2010 at 7:23 PM

ip

4. Proudly Canadian - Sep 26, 2010 at 8:00 AM

Price or Lester, however Buchholz in fewer starts has superior peripherals and makes Hernandez look inferior in comparison.

5. The Real Shuxion - Sep 27, 2010 at 1:13 PM

Okay, anyone who is gay get the hell out and enjoy your eternity in hell.
    -Tony Dungy