Sep 26, 2010, 11:42 AM EST
D.J. brought us the initial story on Saturday. Cubs broadcaster Bob Brenly has pulled himself out of the running for the Cubs’ vacancy at manager. But why?
Brenly won a World Series with the Diamondbacks in 2001 and has a
303-262 career managerial record. He seems to enjoy the stress-free
side of baseball, but it’s not like broadcasting is a completely relaxed gig and it seems like a perfect time for a guy with his level of past success to step into one of baseball’s premier coaching gigs.
Maybe, as the Northwest Indiana Times points out, it’s because Brenly has made comments in the broadcast
booth about players like Alfonso Soriano and Aramis Ramirez — comments that would make things difficult in a transition to the clubhouse. Brenly did call the Cubs a “dead-ass” team on June 25
after Carlos Zambrano’s dugout tirade.
The Cubs weren’t kidding when they said that their search for a new manager would be a long and wide-reaching process. Several candidates have already been interviewed and others will join the party as the regular season winds down. For now, though, Brenly is out.
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 21
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 51
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 40
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 27
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (136)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)