Sep 26, 2010, 3:03 PM EDT
Hawksworth was given 30 stitches on his mouth and upper lip to repair the lacerations that he suffered, but a CT scan was negative and the 27-year-old was discharged from a Chicago hospital on Sunday afternoon.
He will make a full recovery but is not expected to pitch again this season because of precautionary reasons.
Hawksworth served as a long reliever and spot starter this year for St. Louis, posting a 4.98 ERA and 1.64 WHIP over 90.1 total innings. He struck out 61 batters and walked 35.
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 16
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 48
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 10
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59
- Gary Nolan one of many careers saved by Dr. Frank Jobe 17