Sep 26, 2010, 3:03 PM EST
Hawksworth was given 30 stitches on his mouth and upper lip to repair the lacerations that he suffered, but a CT scan was negative and the 27-year-old was discharged from a Chicago hospital on Sunday afternoon.
He will make a full recovery but is not expected to pitch again this season because of precautionary reasons.
Hawksworth served as a long reliever and spot starter this year for St. Louis, posting a 4.98 ERA and 1.64 WHIP over 90.1 total innings. He struck out 61 batters and walked 35.
- Rockies acquire Brett Anderson from A’s 11
- D’backs, Angels, White Sox agree to three-team Mark Trumbo deal 62
- Ranking MLB managers by . . . handsomeness 74
- Curtis Granderson: “A lot of people have told me real New Yorkers are Mets fans” 60
- The Phillies have told teams they’d trade Cliff Lee and Cole Hamels 53
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)
- Robinson Cano “didn’t want to play” for Joe Girardi (110)