Sep 26, 2010, 3:03 PM EDT
Hawksworth was given 30 stitches on his mouth and upper lip to repair the lacerations that he suffered, but a CT scan was negative and the 27-year-old was discharged from a Chicago hospital on Sunday afternoon.
He will make a full recovery but is not expected to pitch again this season because of precautionary reasons.
Hawksworth served as a long reliever and spot starter this year for St. Louis, posting a 4.98 ERA and 1.64 WHIP over 90.1 total innings. He struck out 61 batters and walked 35.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 77
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 150
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 20
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 51
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 56
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 356
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (356)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (199)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (163)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)