Sep 26, 2010, 10:58 AM EDT
The baseball world seems to have a love-hate relationship with White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen. He’s honest, and we all like honesty. Or, at least we pretend to like honesty. But he’s also loud and somewhat egotistical, and maybe even a little crazy.
Guillen let loose on Saturday when asked about his future with the White Sox and whether he had any interest in heading to the north side of Chicago next season. Joe Cowley of the Chicago Sun-Times has the goods.
“If [owner] Jerry [Reinsdorf] don’t want me, yes,” Guillen said. “My position was I would
never sign another place and leave the White Sox for the Cubs because of
the respect for Jerry. But if Jerry is leaving me? I not leaving them,
they are leaving me. Then, I have a choice to make. Everything is out
there. As soon as you get divorced, you are free to do whatever you want.”
Guillen made sure to explain this his “first, second and third” choice would be to remain with the White Sox. But he wants a commitment from the team and the speculation that he might be let go has clearly found its way under his skin.
The White Sox will miss the playoffs this year for a second consecutive season. Still, our guess is that he stays. Reinsdorf likes him, general manager Kenny Williams likes him, and players seem to enjoy playing for him. Plus, it’s not like the White Sox were completely out of contention all year. The Twins simply ran away with the division crown down the stretch.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 10
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 63
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 12
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 111
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 57
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (111)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (88)