Sep 26, 2010, 1:59 PM EST
Things are looking grim for Nationals third baseman Ryan Zimmerman.
He was diagnosed with a strained right oblique muscle earlier this week and has not played in a game since Wednesday. According to the Washington Post’s Adam Kilgore, Zimmerman has yet to report any kind of improvement as of Sunday afternoon.
“No change,” Nationals manager Jim Riggleman said. “As long as there’s no change, he won’t
play. It’s got to get a lot better for him to play. It feels the same.
It might be a little better, but not enough to change his status.”
Riggleman suggested Saturday that Zimmerman could be shut down for the rest of the season for precautionary reasons. Unless something changes within the next day or two, that will almost certainly be the course of action.
Zimmerman, 25, has turned in a stellar 307/.388/.510 batting line, 25 home runs and 85 RBI over 525 at-bats this year while playing excellent defense at the hot corner. He should get a couple of MVP votes and would be near the top of the pack for that award if he were on a better team.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 86
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 162
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (162)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (137)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)