Sep 26, 2010, 9:53 AM EST
Marlins right-hander Chris Volstad opened the 2010 season firmly entrenched in the club’s starting rotation. But a rough April and a brutal July saw to his demotion to Triple-A New Orleans before the month of August.
He doesn’t look like the same pitcher now.
Volstad fired 6 2/3 shutout innings on Saturday against the Brewers and tossed a complete-game shutout last week against the Cardinals. He’s up to 15 2/3 straight scoreless innings and, according to the Palm Beach Post, is now 7-1 with a 4.44 ERA since his return to the big leagues in late August.
“Something clicked in him,’ manager Edwin Rodriguez. “It could be
his release point. It could be confidence in his pitches, because pretty
much he has the same stuff that he had earlier in the year. Something is
working for him now and he feels very confident and attacking hitters.”
The 6-foot-8 righty was selected in the first round of the 2005 draft. He is slowly living up to the hype.
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 21
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 51
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 40
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 27
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (137)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (132)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)