Afredo Simon, Buck Showalter fined for throwing at Jose Bautista

Sep 27, 2010, 5:30 PM EDT

Orioles’ pitcher Alfredo Simon was just suspended for three games and
Buck Showalter was suspended for one game after the Orioles figured the best way to stop Jose Bautista this weekend was to plunk him. Twice. The Jays’ Shaun Marcum was fined an undisclosed amount for hitting Baltimore’s Luke Scott in retaliation.

I have never understood the point of throwing at a guy for hitting home runs. Whenever I see it, I imagine the pitcher saying “Take that! This will show you for me sucking!”

1. Mr. Heyward - Sep 27, 2010 at 5:49 PM

I’m guessing they saw the 52 HR montage and didn’t want to be in the extended version.

2. Trevor B - Sep 27, 2010 at 5:53 PM

IMO the suspension should be longer just due to the fact that he was throwing at him in retaliation for being good. Being this is baseball and plunking dirty players is just as much a part of the game as fighting is in hockey (but still go to the penalty box) you have to give a certain amount of fudge room for pitchers plunking a guy for doing some wacko crap like trying to cleat a guy while sliding or running the bases but for hitting a HR that deserves at least 10 games. And if Buck called for the hit then give him at least 5 days. Again, just my opinion.

3. Proudly Canadian - Sep 27, 2010 at 7:06 PM

Why fine Marcum? His fastball never reaches 90 MPH. Furthermore, his pitch barely grazed the guy.

4. Mac - Sep 28, 2010 at 1:26 AM

I was at this game, and although the game recaps inevitably allude to Bautista’s HBPs, I wasn’t convinced either plunking was intentional.
    The first plunking was by Vandenhurk, who really did not seem (to me) to know where the ball was going once it left his hand. He hit Bautista on an 0-1 count with 1 out and no one on. This after throwing 61 pitches in 2.1 innings. I had already been thinking that the Jays should be taking, taking, taking up there with the way he was pitching. I really thought the beaning was just him being wild. I went over to MLB.com and looked at the at bat just before this, and Aaron Hill nearly got nicked by a pitching in the same place that hit Bautista.
    Simon’s intentions were somewhat more debatable. He threw pretty far inside the pitch just before hitting Bautista, and I remember wondering if it was on purpose…. then he hits him. Plus, Marcum had retaliated (and I definitely think Marcum did it on purpose). However, Simon isn’t exactly known for his command, and it’s still a close game at this point, 3-1 with the O’s trailing. Maybe I’m naive, but Simon’s comments after the game jive with my feeling that it was just wildness again….”I just tried to throw one inside and it got him. It was not on purpose. He’s a friend of mine. There was no reason to hit him.”
    To me, the silliest thing was Marcum hitting Scott. I thought it was brainless, considering what I wrote about Vandenhurk’s control. I’ve heard it said that Marcum ‘grazed’ him, but I immediately thought it was a retaliation, and Marcum is known for his control. Plus, Marcum’s post-game comments indicate that he clearly thought the O’s were doing it on purpose, and indicate that he would consider retaliating in this kid of situation. If anything, I think his fine should be bigger, since it escalated a non-event (the accidental hitting of Bautista) unnecessarily. At the very least, I now think of Marcum as a bit of a jackass.
    Full disclosure, if anything, I would pull for the Jays in this match-up, but I’m hardly a fanatic of either team. I don’t think I’m prone to seeing either side’s actions through rose-colored glasses, and certainly not the O’s.

5. gerryb323 - Sep 28, 2010 at 9:53 AM