Andy Pettitte will play, at most, one more season

Sep 27, 2010, 10:03 AM EDT

Andy Pettitte is not under contract for 2011, but he may very well come back for one more season, if for no other reason, than the Yankees will unload a dump truck full of money for him after seeing how shaky their rotation was when he wasn’t in it.  But they can forget about 2012, though:

“I know I’m not going to be playing at age 40. I know that,” he said.
“So there’s just things I know I promised myself that I wouldn’t let
happen [regarding family time]. And those things would happen if I kept
playing.”

Pettitte will turn 40 in June 2012. Given that he’s not likely to retire in the middle of the season, logic dictates that Pettitte will call it quits after next season, no matter what.

1. TomTom - Sep 27, 2010 at 10:27 AM

When and if he does retire…Hall of Famer?

2. klbader - Sep 27, 2010 at 10:33 AM

I think it is a close call, but to me, he has always been a really good but not great player. To me, he’s a member of the Hall of Very Good, not the HoF. I think his case is aided by where he played and having lots of rings, but I don’t know. That is just my “gut” reaction, not looking at any stats. I might change my mind after thinking about/researching the issue.

3. CalinCT - Sep 27, 2010 at 10:59 AM

Probably not a HOF.
    It’s very, very, very close, IMHO. He’s right on the fence, especially based on his post-season stats.
    But the thing that will likely make the difference, unfortunately, is his admission to using HGH. I think a LOT of writers will factor that into their decision when voting. Which stinks. I think, if there’s no PED use, with Andy being “on the fence”, so to speak, the writers might vote his way (but DEFINITELY not first ballot). But with it? Probably not.
    I HOPE I’m wrong. Andy’s been magnificent for this Yankee club…I’d love to see him in Cooperstown.

4. Simon DelMonte - Sep 27, 2010 at 11:02 AM

Borderline. A lot of great seasons, and a great playoff resume, but also a few mediocre years and a lot of years where he benefited from the batters. If he gets in, it’s not a travesty, and he might be a bit more deserving than someone like Jack Morris. But he’s more suitable for the Yankee Hall of Fame than the big one.

5. YANKEES1996 - Sep 27, 2010 at 11:23 AM

I think Andy for next year is 50/50, he can walk away this year with nothing left to prove or play for, it will be sad to see him walk away. Is he a Hall of Famer?…ABSOLUTELY, no doubt about it. He is one of the greatest post season pitchers in the history of the game. Big game pitcher all the way, in a must win game there is still no one I would rather see on the mound than Andy and that includes CC.

6. mrfloydpink - Sep 27, 2010 at 12:18 PM

Four-time AS, no Cy Youngs (though one second place). A respectable, but not overwhelming 117 career ERA+. Career WAR of 50 is again respectable, but not stellar.
    So yes, any HOF case for Pettitte has to be built around his postseason accomplishments. The thing is that he was pretty much the EXACT same pitcher in the postseason that he was in the regular season. 3.88 career ERA regular season; and 3.90 career ERA postseason; 1.35 WHIP regular season, 1.33 WHIP postseason; 6.6 K/9 regular season, 5.9 K/9 postseason.
    It may be that maintaining the same level of performance in the postseason that one provides in the regular season is an accomplishment, and makes a player “clutch” or whatever. Though I don’t know. It’s the best competition, yes, but it’s also the end of the season when many players are hurt, or worn down. Further, they may be more jittery and prone to mistakes because of pressure.
    I suppose what it looks like to me is that Pettitte is not a “great big game pitcher” so much as he is a very good pitcher who got the opportunity to play in a lot of big games by virtue of playing for the Yankees.

7. mrfloydpink - Sep 27, 2010 at 12:21 PM

8. mrfloydpink - Sep 27, 2010 at 12:24 PM

9. mrfloydpink - Sep 27, 2010 at 12:28 PM

10. John_Michael - Sep 27, 2010 at 1:08 PM

I think Favre said the same thing a few years ago…

Who's to blame for Cubs tarp fiasco?
  1. R. Castillo (3257)