Sep 27, 2010, 8:27 PM EDT
Brandon Webb hoped to make at least one relief appearance with the Diamondbacks this week, however the team ruled out that possibility today, according to Ed Price of AOL Fanhouse.
Webb, who has spent the entire season rehabbing from shoulder surgery last August, is now slated to pitch in the Instructional League, instead. He’ll make his debut there Wednesday and if all goes well, he’ll pitch again Saturday and next Thursday.
Webb’s agent Jonathan
Maurer said that his client is disappointed, but understands the team’s decision.
“While Brandon feels he’s ready to pitch in the majors, it’s important
to respect the staff and new general manager Kevin Towers, who believe
it’s a better fit to pitch in instructional league. As a potential free agent, Brandon would have
liked to pitch once this season for the Diamondbacks but appreciates
this opportunity. The Diamondbacks have been good to Brandon and Arizona
will be given every opportunity to sign Brandon. But I anticipate a lot
It’s disappointing for both sides, actually. Though it happened under former general manager Josh Byrnes, don’t forget that the Diamondbacks picked up the $8.5 million club option on Webb last October.
Don’t expect Webb to get that lucky again. The former 2006 National League Cy Young Award winner will likely have to settle for an incentive-laden contract this winter.
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 48
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 52
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 89
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 57
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 52
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 96
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (104)
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels (96)