Sep 27, 2010, 8:27 PM EDT
Brandon Webb hoped to make at least one relief appearance with the Diamondbacks this week, however the team ruled out that possibility today, according to Ed Price of AOL Fanhouse.
Webb, who has spent the entire season rehabbing from shoulder surgery last August, is now slated to pitch in the Instructional League, instead. He’ll make his debut there Wednesday and if all goes well, he’ll pitch again Saturday and next Thursday.
Webb’s agent Jonathan
Maurer said that his client is disappointed, but understands the team’s decision.
“While Brandon feels he’s ready to pitch in the majors, it’s important
to respect the staff and new general manager Kevin Towers, who believe
it’s a better fit to pitch in instructional league. As a potential free agent, Brandon would have
liked to pitch once this season for the Diamondbacks but appreciates
this opportunity. The Diamondbacks have been good to Brandon and Arizona
will be given every opportunity to sign Brandon. But I anticipate a lot
It’s disappointing for both sides, actually. Though it happened under former general manager Josh Byrnes, don’t forget that the Diamondbacks picked up the $8.5 million club option on Webb last October.
Don’t expect Webb to get that lucky again. The former 2006 National League Cy Young Award winner will likely have to settle for an incentive-laden contract this winter.
- Madison Bumgarner delivers a shutout as Giants roll past Pirates in NL Wild Card Game 5
- Angels announce ALDS rotation: Jered Weaver in Game 1, Matt Shoemaker for Game 2 2
- The beauty of belief 42
- MLB to test new pace-of-play rules in the Arizona Fall League — including a pitch clock 44
- Playoff Reset: The National League Wild Card Game 15
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 3
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 25
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 75
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Ned Yost on the sixth inning and his bullpen usage: “its just one of those things” (81)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)