Sep 27, 2010, 8:27 PM EDT
Brandon Webb hoped to make at least one relief appearance with the Diamondbacks this week, however the team ruled out that possibility today, according to Ed Price of AOL Fanhouse.
Webb, who has spent the entire season rehabbing from shoulder surgery last August, is now slated to pitch in the Instructional League, instead. He’ll make his debut there Wednesday and if all goes well, he’ll pitch again Saturday and next Thursday.
Webb’s agent Jonathan
Maurer said that his client is disappointed, but understands the team’s decision.
“While Brandon feels he’s ready to pitch in the majors, it’s important
to respect the staff and new general manager Kevin Towers, who believe
it’s a better fit to pitch in instructional league. As a potential free agent, Brandon would have
liked to pitch once this season for the Diamondbacks but appreciates
this opportunity. The Diamondbacks have been good to Brandon and Arizona
will be given every opportunity to sign Brandon. But I anticipate a lot
It’s disappointing for both sides, actually. Though it happened under former general manager Josh Byrnes, don’t forget that the Diamondbacks picked up the $8.5 million club option on Webb last October.
Don’t expect Webb to get that lucky again. The former 2006 National League Cy Young Award winner will likely have to settle for an incentive-laden contract this winter.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 7
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 81
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 115
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (115)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)