Sep 27, 2010, 8:27 PM EDT
Brandon Webb hoped to make at least one relief appearance with the Diamondbacks this week, however the team ruled out that possibility today, according to Ed Price of AOL Fanhouse.
Webb, who has spent the entire season rehabbing from shoulder surgery last August, is now slated to pitch in the Instructional League, instead. He’ll make his debut there Wednesday and if all goes well, he’ll pitch again Saturday and next Thursday.
Webb’s agent Jonathan
Maurer said that his client is disappointed, but understands the team’s decision.
“While Brandon feels he’s ready to pitch in the majors, it’s important
to respect the staff and new general manager Kevin Towers, who believe
it’s a better fit to pitch in instructional league. As a potential free agent, Brandon would have
liked to pitch once this season for the Diamondbacks but appreciates
this opportunity. The Diamondbacks have been good to Brandon and Arizona
will be given every opportunity to sign Brandon. But I anticipate a lot
It’s disappointing for both sides, actually. Though it happened under former general manager Josh Byrnes, don’t forget that the Diamondbacks picked up the $8.5 million club option on Webb last October.
Don’t expect Webb to get that lucky again. The former 2006 National League Cy Young Award winner will likely have to settle for an incentive-laden contract this winter.
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 54
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 5
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 16
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 8
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 38
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 8
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 10
- In the wake of the Miguel Cabrera injury the Tigers have few good options 20
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)