Sep 27, 2010, 8:27 PM EDT
Brandon Webb hoped to make at least one relief appearance with the Diamondbacks this week, however the team ruled out that possibility today, according to Ed Price of AOL Fanhouse.
Webb, who has spent the entire season rehabbing from shoulder surgery last August, is now slated to pitch in the Instructional League, instead. He’ll make his debut there Wednesday and if all goes well, he’ll pitch again Saturday and next Thursday.
Webb’s agent Jonathan
Maurer said that his client is disappointed, but understands the team’s decision.
“While Brandon feels he’s ready to pitch in the majors, it’s important
to respect the staff and new general manager Kevin Towers, who believe
it’s a better fit to pitch in instructional league. As a potential free agent, Brandon would have
liked to pitch once this season for the Diamondbacks but appreciates
this opportunity. The Diamondbacks have been good to Brandon and Arizona
will be given every opportunity to sign Brandon. But I anticipate a lot
It’s disappointing for both sides, actually. Though it happened under former general manager Josh Byrnes, don’t forget that the Diamondbacks picked up the $8.5 million club option on Webb last October.
Don’t expect Webb to get that lucky again. The former 2006 National League Cy Young Award winner will likely have to settle for an incentive-laden contract this winter.
- Rafael Soriano calls out Bryce Harper for the game-tying triple last night 39
- Apparently MLB is going to ignore Alex Sanabia throwing a spitball 28
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 66
- Mike Trout hits for cycle in Angels’ rout of Mariners 23
- Kevin Gausman will make Orioles debut on Thursday 6
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (116)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (106)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (92)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (73)
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- HBT: Soriano calls out Harper after blown save
- PHT: Sharks take Game 4, pull even with Kings
- PBT: Cavs win NBA draft lottery, will pick No. 1
- PBT: Nick Gilbert again Cavs' good luck charm