Sep 27, 2010, 10:19 AM EDT
After hinting at it last week, it sounds like the White Sox will indeed shut down Gavin Floyd because of shoulder soreness.
Ozzie Guillen told Doug Padilla of ESPNChicago.com that there’s really no sense in having him make one final start with the White Sox out of contention:
In my mind, I think we should shut it down. This is a kid that’s going to be back here next year and he’s not going to prove to anybody if he can pitch or not. I think, why are we going to take a risk when the thing is not very important? Obviously we have to talk to Gavin first to see how he feels but I think the best scenario is to shut it down. That’s the best thing for him and for the organization.
Floyd was initially scheduled to start yesterday, but Tony Pena took his place against the Angels, tossing a Quality Start in a 4-3 win.
While his 10-13 record doesn’t look very good, Floyd actually had a solid season with a 4.08 ERA and 151/58 K/BB ratio in 187.1 innings, ranking 12th among AL starters in Expected Fielding Independent Pitching (xFIP) at 3.85.
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 125
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 18
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 46
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 48
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 353
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 5
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (355)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (198)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (162)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)