HBT Weekend Wrapup

Sep 27, 2010, 8:25 AM EST

I am an Ohio State fan. God, how I hate Ohio State fans.

Things you missed while you restrained yourself from killing perspective-free Ohio State football fans who actually had the gall to worry — after a 73-20 victory over some Directional U. — that “the defense just didn’t have the intensity it needs.” Or maybe that was just me. Columbus in the fall is worse than New York in the summer. Sure, some Yankees fans may get bent out of shape if the team doesn’t go 162-0, but at least they don’t expect 162 shutouts:

• Jeff Francoeur hit his 100th home run. This story reminds me of those “he’s determined to finish what he started stories” about the guy who takes a week to complete the New York Marathon or something, only far, far less inspiring.
  • Baseball’s second-in-command is being forced out. I’m pretty sure DuPuy is part of, like, six different “blue ribbon panels” and “independent commissions” and what have you that Selig set up years ago in order to punt tough decisions he didn’t want to make. This either means that we may, for example, hear something about the A’s future sometime soon. Or it may mean that new commission members have to be appointed and 18 more months added to the studies so that they may get up to speed.
  • The Phillies and Mets got all snippy at each other. It’s cute how they think these games matter for something.
  • Tim Lincecum rejected a baseball in the Giants-Rockies game he perceived had not been subjected to the Coors Field humidor. And they say drugs dull the senses.
  • The Rangers clinched the right to lose in the first round of the playoffs to the AL East champion.
  • If effing with people was an Olympic sport, Ozzie Guillen would have medal-laden pictures of himself on the cover of Sports Illustrated like he was Mark Spitz or something.
  • Bob Brenly takes himself out of the running for the Cubs gig. A gig that I figure he’d have about a 0.02% chance of getting in the first place. He probably knew that, and rightfully figured that it would be better to “take himself out of the running” than to be seen as being passed over for the job.

And now, let us begin the last week of the regular season.

1. Jonny5 - Sep 27, 2010 at 9:03 AM

I’m surprised that no one mentioned Brad Lidge had to get 4 outs in the ninth inning on Friday. Freaking weird. I guess that was Jerry’s way of payback for Chase taking out a double play opportunity? What kind of official calls timeout as the pitch is leaving the hand of the pitcher? That could have cost the game.

2. Proudly Canadian - Sep 27, 2010 at 9:27 AM

You forgot to mention Jose Bautista. He is much more relevant than Francoeur.

3. Alex - Sep 27, 2010 at 9:38 AM

It’s too bad there wasn’t a God to protect John Lindsey from injury while in the minor’s, thus robbing him of his chance to actually reach the big leagues.

4. Simon DelMonte - Sep 27, 2010 at 11:04 AM

Things Mets and Braves fans might agree on: 1) The Phils are evil; 2) Frenchy being in the playoffs when our teams aren’t is a crime against nature, man and God.

5. ldupontd - Sep 27, 2010 at 12:55 PM

Sorry, but Columbus in the fall is fabulous! Not only are the colors gorgeous, but winning Buckeyes and you just cannot get any better!

6. Kiwicricket - Sep 27, 2010 at 1:00 PM

I thought the exact same thing! I amused myself picturing Frenchy actually coming online and writing something in the comments section to the Mets and Braves fans who bag him. Oh, something special for Craig also. Entertainment factor would be through the roof for all others not involved. Frenchy will hit a game winning Homer. I almost bet my half sister on it.

7. Kiwicricket - Sep 27, 2010 at 1:02 PM

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (5992)