Heath Bell also believes Rockies are cheating

Sep 27, 2010, 6:18 PM EDT

The excellent Padres blog Gaslamp Ball points out that Heath Bell took to Twitter on Sunday night to comment on the Rockies’ juiced ball “scandal” that Tim LIncecum weighed in on last week.
First, in a seeming response to Tim Lincecum’s unofficial allegations, he tweeted “SF are the nice people.”
That caught the eye of a fellow by the name of “themayorpete” and he came back with:
I assume by this you mean COL cheats. RT @HeathBell21: SF are the nice people
And Bell responded to Pete’s comment with a much less cryptic:
@themayorpete yes they do
Now, for what it’s worth, Bell’s Twitter account isn’t verified. However, ithe assumption is that it’s written by the pitcher himself and it is followed by many in baseball.
Since he’s the first to publically declare that the Rockies are cheating, he’ll probably be asked several times about the topic in future days, and it will be interesting to see if he elaborates further. We know MLB is taking an interest after the Giants’ complaint last week.

1. basedrum777 - Sep 27, 2010 at 7:56 PM

Keep the ball after the play if you think it was juiced and have it tested. Instead of giving it back to the Ump toss it to the bench and have it tested. Easy solution. Of course the Rockies might stop now that they have been outed….

2. Paper Lions - Sep 27, 2010 at 8:08 PM

Have it tested? You want them to put the ball in statis so they can test its humidity content later? They could just weigh the balls to ensure that they have sufficient water content….but all such things would need to be done (essentially) immediately. The allegation, as I understand it, is that the Rockies sub-in balls that have been allowed to dry out or that were never put in the humidor.

3. SonofCalifornia - Sep 27, 2010 at 8:46 PM

The umps keep the balls in their pouch…it would be hard, if not impossible to know when they run out of juiced and non-juiced balls between innings and/or batters…

4. carey - Sep 27, 2010 at 9:12 PM

It always has been said that “empty wagons make the most noise”. Any way,one of baseballs contribution to our greatest past time is……………………CHEATING. Let’s count the ways. Sand paper,vasoline,soap(Greg Maddux) and other doctoring methods,nail files.(See Gaylord Perry) Cork bats,water down infields. The Giants were good at this in the sixties to slow down Maury Wills! Growing the infield grass long,cutting it short. For indoor arenas,blowing in more air,dimming lights. I’m sure all of you can come up with something!

5. NickFromWA - Sep 27, 2010 at 9:47 PM

haha, he is backtracking now:
    Twitter account canceled in 3, 2, 1…

6. NickFromWA - Sep 27, 2010 at 9:49 PM

haha, he is backtracking now:
    Twitter account canceled in 3, 2, 1…

7. schmedley - Sep 27, 2010 at 10:52 PM

Maybe that’s why the Phillies bullpen coach had the binoculars that time? He wasn’t stealing signs, he was spying on the Rockies and making sure that they weren’t cheating. So not only is Jim Tracy a big crybaby, but he’s also a big hypocrite.

8. Jess_Ball - Sep 28, 2010 at 12:48 AM

You know what they could try? Bring in Tim Wakefield. A knuckleball pitcher would probably rather have a rigid non-humidor ball to keep the spin off a bit. He could tell you right away.
    As for the Giants – while I am rooting for you guys, can you please stop saying you took all 4 games from us in July when I know d*mn well that all four of our starters couldn’t have been tipping pitches? Burrel and Huff got on my nerves.
    There.
    As for Maddux – from what I’ve read (and I’m kind of biased because he’s my favorite)'; is that he actually pretended to do all sorts of things to make it appear as though the ball was being doctored just to mess with people. He was openly accused over the years, and his answer was “maybe…maybe not. I don’t know.” I guess he could have scuffed it on a bad day, and maybe once he was squeezed in the strike zones after 2002. But I’ve read it was something to alter the pace of the game. If that’s true, it’s kind of awesome to say you are doctoring the ball and making it obvious enough that it draws the attention of the manager and umpire and the player waiting in the box…

9. Tony A - Sep 28, 2010 at 1:01 AM

Question that hadn’t occurred to me prior to this discussion. Is Colorado REQUIRED to use the humidor?
    Was under the impression that this was something that the team had decided to do on their on, with the permission of MLB…

10. David - Sep 28, 2010 at 4:21 AM

Let’s count the credible, accomplished men who have stated that the Rockies are cheating (all this from 20 seconds of searching on Google):
    1) JON MILLER: “You know, there’s a feeling that the Rockies are doing something with the humidor-stored baseballs and sometimes, that perhaps late in these games when the Rockies need some help, some non-humidor baseballs are being slipped into the mix”
    (Note: That was in July.)
    2) TIM LINCECUM: “Fuckin’ juiced ball. It’s fuckin’ bullshit.”
    (Note: Lincecum confirmed that he said this to beat writer Andrew Baggarly. “If they’ve got somebody videotaping me, I guess I can’t live it down.”)
    3) HEATH BELL: “Yes they do”. Meaning “Yes [the Rockies] do [cheat].”
    But they’re all just wacko conspiracy theorists. Seriously, type in “Rockies juiced ball conspiracy theory” in Google and all you’ll get are dozens of articles mocking anybody who dares to believe that anybody ever conspires. Then read the comments and you’ll see that 99% of them agree with the writers, “Tin-foil hat wearin’ conspiracy loons!”
    We’ve been taught by the mainstream media that nobody ever conspires, and we’ve obeyed. Although I could’ve sworn that my brothers and I probably conspired 20,000 times when we were growing up (how to skip school, how to sneak into R-rated movies, how rig the Mortal Kombat arcade so we didn’t need quarters, etc., etc., etc.)….I’ve now been cleansed and I see the Glory of the Mainstream Media. I now agree that the idea of two people planning a secret is totally wacko. In fact, God knows how the word “conspiracy” was ever created in the first place. So, I think that any prosecutor that every tries to indict somebody for “conspiracy to commit murder” should be locked up in an asylum ’cause he’d obviously be a “wacko”. And I think that anybody who’s ever been convicted of “fraud and conspiracy” should be released immediately, ’cause there ain’t no such thing as conspiracies (Fox News said so!)
    And Lincecum smokes weed, he’s got long hair, and he lives in San Francisco. You don’t wanna be like HIM do you? Send the hippie to Guantanamo where a thick toilet plunger will purify him of his conspiracy-believing heresies.

11. NickFromWA - Sep 28, 2010 at 5:40 AM

And now he has deleted all related Tweets.

12. Kiwicricket - Sep 28, 2010 at 6:29 AM

Gee….I don’t know…..Perhaps get rid of the humidor?

13. Gorilla - Sep 28, 2010 at 10:56 AM

It’s not like there is “Rockies pitcher’s balls” and “Giants pitcher’s balls”. All the game balls are lumped together. So how is that cheating?
    Actually there is a difference between Rockies pitcher’s balls and Giants pitcher’s. The Rockies pitchers had theirs fall off about 10 games ago. But that’s a different story.

14. Omega in Colorado - Sep 28, 2010 at 3:19 PM

I am biased, this is my hometown team here, but I still say ‘prove it’. Hunches and veiled accusations aren’t proof. Show me proof, I would say this about any team in the league about any accusations of cheating.

Why is Wren out and Gonzalez is not?
  1. R. Castillo (2695)