Sep 27, 2010, 9:12 AM EST
More or less. As Adam McCalvy tweeted, by finishing his 35th game, the buyout on Hoffman’s option year goes up to $750,000 from $500,000.
This isn’t odd or controversial, really. Hoffman has been used to finish games in non-save situations a lot in August and September, and if you’re not going to use him in that role there’s really no point in having him. I do enjoy following the late-season contract incentive push, though. I have ever since Jimy Williams gave Steve Avery some starts he probably shouldn’t have received in order to get his 1998 option picked up.
If anyone spots any more of these, please let me know. We can maybe try to play detective and see if any managers are trying to either mess with players or with the front office by either playing a guy a lot or holding him out to mess with bonuses.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 21
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 20
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 373
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (374)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (145)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)