Sep 27, 2010, 2:59 PM EST
The best part of this is not that the .238/.306/.376 DH/1B is saying that his season wasn’t all that bad, it’s that the .238/.306/.376 DH/1B refers to himself in the third person. Mark Kotsay:
“If you look at the whole year from a Mark Kotsay standpoint, it’s
been criticism from the get-go,” the lefty hitter said. ”I didn’t get
off to a good start, I got buried, I slowly got myself out of that hole
when the team was having success in the winning portion of the season.
But even in that turnaround, there was always talk that we needed a
”Hey, you know what? It’s been the whole season. I think I was able
to carry myself in a professional manner and realize, ‘Yeah, my success
as a whole, if I evaluate my whole year, it’s not nearly where I wanted
it to end.’ But I think I battled, I think I fought the whole season.”
No one ever questioned your effort, Mark. Just your production. Which, no matter how hard you worked, wasn’t anywhere close to sufficient for the DH slot.
Now, was it your fault you were penciled in as the DH so often? Nah, that’s on Ozzie Guillen, who decided last winter to go in that direction. But just because it was his decision doesn’t mean that people were unfair to note that, hey, the team could have used a better bat than the one you brought to work each day.
- Mariners sign Corey Hart 12
- David Price would not consider an extension with the Mariners if he’s traded there 29
- Media paying for athlete interviews? Not likely. But watch this stuff closely anyway. 18
- Rockies acquire Brett Anderson from A’s 12
- D’backs, Angels, White Sox agree to three-team Mark Trumbo deal 65
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)
- Managers, GMs to meet today to discuss the abolition of home plate collisions (111)