Sep 27, 2010, 10:57 AM EDT
Mariano Rivera has blown three saves in his last six outings. In that time he’s given up six runs on nine hits in five and two-thirds innings. There is consternation about this in various corners of the Internet this morning. Is it time to panic?
While panicking can be quite fun, I’m inclined towards chilling out. Yes, Mo’s September 10th and September 11th outings in Texas led to the most pitches he’s thrown on back-to-back games all year: 44. But to the extent that led to anxiety that he was being overused, it should have been extinguished by the five days he got off between his last two outings. Sure, he blew a save again last night, but that had far more to do with his inattention to baserunners. The Sox stole four bases off him in the ninth, and they really were more Mo’s fault than Jorge Posada’s. It’s not like he got smacked around.
With a playoff berth all but clinched at this point, Joe Girardi can give Rivera a week off if he truly wants to in order to alleviate any fatigue concerns, even if those are valid. My guess though: we’re so used to seeing Rivera dominate that when he has a bad little stretch like the one he’s having now, it seems more unusual and scary than bad little stretches from other, mere mortal closers.
But seriously, Mo: work on checking the runner once in a while, OK?
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 10
- Huston Street says he’d retire if he was used like a 1970s-style fireman 47
- CC Sabathia looks like a reliever 28
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 58
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 59
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 20
- What a world: Orioles are in first place and Ubaldo Jimenez has been their ace 16
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results 99
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)