Sep 27, 2010, 10:57 AM EDT
Mariano Rivera has blown three saves in his last six outings. In that time he’s given up six runs on nine hits in five and two-thirds innings. There is consternation about this in various corners of the Internet this morning. Is it time to panic?
While panicking can be quite fun, I’m inclined towards chilling out. Yes, Mo’s September 10th and September 11th outings in Texas led to the most pitches he’s thrown on back-to-back games all year: 44. But to the extent that led to anxiety that he was being overused, it should have been extinguished by the five days he got off between his last two outings. Sure, he blew a save again last night, but that had far more to do with his inattention to baserunners. The Sox stole four bases off him in the ninth, and they really were more Mo’s fault than Jorge Posada’s. It’s not like he got smacked around.
With a playoff berth all but clinched at this point, Joe Girardi can give Rivera a week off if he truly wants to in order to alleviate any fatigue concerns, even if those are valid. My guess though: we’re so used to seeing Rivera dominate that when he has a bad little stretch like the one he’s having now, it seems more unusual and scary than bad little stretches from other, mere mortal closers.
But seriously, Mo: work on checking the runner once in a while, OK?
- Christian Vazquez to undergo Tommy John surgery 9
- 2015 Preview: Colorado Rockies 4
- 2015 Preview: Minnesota Twins 18
- 2015 Preview: Philadelphia Phillies 30
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 47
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 22
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 21
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (91)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)