Sep 27, 2010, 10:46 AM EST
Mike Pelfrey will be eligible for salary arbitration this offseason for the first time, but the 26-year-old right-hander told Anthony DiComo of MLB.com that he’s interested in working out a long-term contract with the Mets:
I would be interested. They’d have to bring it up, but I’m sure we’ll explore it. I’m definitely open to it. My agent and them will work it out. If they want to do it, I’m open to it. If not, that’s fine, too.
Pelfrey’s agent is Scott Boras, which could complicate things given that his clients rarely agree to long-term deals before hitting the open market as free agents. Of course, Pelfrey is under team control through 2014, so there’s no real rush for the Mets to do much of anything.
Asked to describe the Mets’ interest in a potential long-term extension, Pelfrey said: “Crickets. It’s been crickets.” For now at least he’ll have to settle for a huge raise via the arbitration process, where his 15-9 record and 3.75 ERA will be evaluated relative to pitchers with similar performances and service time.
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 17
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 49
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 40
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 285
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 27
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (135)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)