Sep 27, 2010, 10:46 AM EST
Mike Pelfrey will be eligible for salary arbitration this offseason for the first time, but the 26-year-old right-hander told Anthony DiComo of MLB.com that he’s interested in working out a long-term contract with the Mets:
I would be interested. They’d have to bring it up, but I’m sure we’ll explore it. I’m definitely open to it. My agent and them will work it out. If they want to do it, I’m open to it. If not, that’s fine, too.
Pelfrey’s agent is Scott Boras, which could complicate things given that his clients rarely agree to long-term deals before hitting the open market as free agents. Of course, Pelfrey is under team control through 2014, so there’s no real rush for the Mets to do much of anything.
Asked to describe the Mets’ interest in a potential long-term extension, Pelfrey said: “Crickets. It’s been crickets.” For now at least he’ll have to settle for a huge raise via the arbitration process, where his 15-9 record and 3.75 ERA will be evaluated relative to pitchers with similar performances and service time.
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 7
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 276
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 16
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 85
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 49
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 66
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training 114
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (275)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Gregg Zaun says young players should be physically abused and hazed by veterans. So they can learn respect. (105)