Sep 27, 2010, 10:46 AM EDT
Mike Pelfrey will be eligible for salary arbitration this offseason for the first time, but the 26-year-old right-hander told Anthony DiComo of MLB.com that he’s interested in working out a long-term contract with the Mets:
I would be interested. They’d have to bring it up, but I’m sure we’ll explore it. I’m definitely open to it. My agent and them will work it out. If they want to do it, I’m open to it. If not, that’s fine, too.
Pelfrey’s agent is Scott Boras, which could complicate things given that his clients rarely agree to long-term deals before hitting the open market as free agents. Of course, Pelfrey is under team control through 2014, so there’s no real rush for the Mets to do much of anything.
Asked to describe the Mets’ interest in a potential long-term extension, Pelfrey said: “Crickets. It’s been crickets.” For now at least he’ll have to settle for a huge raise via the arbitration process, where his 15-9 record and 3.75 ERA will be evaluated relative to pitchers with similar performances and service time.
- Dave Dombrowski on Miguel Cabrera: “It’s worse than what we ever would have anticipated” 8
- World Series Reset: Can the Giants even things up? 3
- Behind strong bullpen, Royals edge Giants 3-2 to take a 2-1 World Series lead 34
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 3
- The greatest trick this Royals bullpen ever pulled … 3
- Adam Wainwright underwent elbow surgery to “trim” cartilage 13
- World Series, Game 3: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Andrew Friedman got $35 million to leave the Rays for the Dodgers … and he might be underpaid 13
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (143)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (101)