Sep 27, 2010, 10:46 AM EDT
Mike Pelfrey will be eligible for salary arbitration this offseason for the first time, but the 26-year-old right-hander told Anthony DiComo of MLB.com that he’s interested in working out a long-term contract with the Mets:
I would be interested. They’d have to bring it up, but I’m sure we’ll explore it. I’m definitely open to it. My agent and them will work it out. If they want to do it, I’m open to it. If not, that’s fine, too.
Pelfrey’s agent is Scott Boras, which could complicate things given that his clients rarely agree to long-term deals before hitting the open market as free agents. Of course, Pelfrey is under team control through 2014, so there’s no real rush for the Mets to do much of anything.
Asked to describe the Mets’ interest in a potential long-term extension, Pelfrey said: “Crickets. It’s been crickets.” For now at least he’ll have to settle for a huge raise via the arbitration process, where his 15-9 record and 3.75 ERA will be evaluated relative to pitchers with similar performances and service time.
- The Rockies “aren’t looking around very hard” for a trade of star shortstop Troy Tulowitzki 13
- Jury finds the Dodgers partially negligent, awards $18 million to Bryan Stow 41
- Masahiro Tanaka injured: Yankees ace to undergo an MRI exam on his right arm 60
- David Ortiz is not pleased that his name got pulled into the John Lackey-Nelson Cruz thing 99
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 64
- Cardinals “looking for offense” … not Jake Peavy 31
- 2014 Home Run Derby participants … 28
- Billy Beane: The age of “baseball insiders” vs. “baseball outsiders” will soon be over 58
- John Lackey on Nelson Cruz: “Not even going to comment … I’ve got nothing to say about him” (143)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (126)
- The 2014 All-Star rosters have been announced (103)
- Giants broadcaster says Angel Hernandez “does not belong in the big leagues” (101)
- David Ortiz is not pleased that his name got pulled into the John Lackey-Nelson Cruz thing (99)