Sep 27, 2010, 6:40 PM EDT
Despite recent speculation that he’d bolt due to a deteriorating relationship with general manager Kenny Williams, manager Ozzie Guillen will be back with the White Sox in 2011, MLB.com’s Scott Merkin reported Monday.
According to Merkin, Guillen met separately with Williams and owner Jerry Reinsdorf and came away pleased.
Even though he was under contract for 2011, Guillen had been mentioned in connection with the Marlins, Cubs and, to a lesser extent, the Mets. Florida, in particular, seemed like a great fit, particularly given his home in Miami.
Guillen, however, would seem to be in a better baseball situation with the White Sox than with the possible alternatives. In seven years with the Pale Hose, he has a 595-533 record and just two seasons below .500. He guided the team to a world championship in 2005.
The 46-year-old Guillen may yet ask for a contract extension this winter. As is, the White Sox have an option on his contract for 2012 that will only become guaranteed if the team goes to the World Series next season.
- Triples Machine: After a decade in the minors Royals rookie Paulo Orlando is demolishing triples records 3
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 20
- Report: Cubs calling up prospect infielder Addison Russell 27
- Jonathan Lucroy headed to disabled list with broken toe 9
- Reds manager Bryan Price goes on profanity-laden tirade against media 68
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 75
- Report: Marlins manager Mike Redmond is on the hot seat 41
- Five Royals ejected in Sunday’s series finale against the Athletics 88
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (129)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (111)