Papelbon blames the ump for his blown save

Sep 27, 2010, 9:46 AM EDT

Jonathan Papelbon blew the save last in last night’s Red Sox-Yankees game. This was due in part to a walk to Alex Rodriguez just prior to Robinson Cano’s RBI single that tied the game.  It was a walk Papelbon didn’t think was deserved:

“Really rough tonight, considering the fact that I’m not only
pitching against the hitter, I’m pitching against the umpire. When
you’ve got to do that against this lineup, you’ll never be successful.””When
you’ve got to do that, you’re in a lose-lose situation. Just call the
game. There’s 27 outs. Call the game. Don’t let the crowd influence you,
don’t let the hitter influence you, don’t call the pitch where the
catcher catches it. Stay focused for 27 outs and call the game.”

I was watching the game and, yeah, Papelbon had a right to be mad at the strike zone.  But the fact is that home plate ump Phil Cuzzi squeezed Mariano Rivera in the top of the ninth as well.  Rivera didn’t complain about it after the game, however. And I’d bet any amount of money that he wouldn’t, even if the Yankees took the loss.

1. Lans Downe - Sep 27, 2010 at 9:58 AM

Unless Joe West was behind the plate.

2. lardin - Sep 27, 2010 at 9:59 AM

Its called accountability. Learn it.. Use it…

3. RickyB - Sep 27, 2010 at 10:04 AM

Spot on. Interesting that Cuzzi’s strike zone got smaller as the game went on. I mean, no way Dice-K has that kind of outing with the zone the closers got in the ninth …

4. RickyB - Sep 27, 2010 at 10:06 AM

5. The Dangerous Mabry - Sep 27, 2010 at 10:10 AM

Someone should tell Paps that pitches are to be called where they cross the plate, not where the catcher catches them.

6. BC - Sep 27, 2010 at 10:12 AM

The strike zone was ridiculously inconsistent all night, but Papelbon needs to shut up.

7. Largebill - Sep 27, 2010 at 10:16 AM

It is tempting to say it is just a matter of maturity. However, I doubt Rivera would have made the mistake of blaming the ump when he was a young player either. It is more about temperament and make up than anything else. Some team will sign Papelbon in the off season and all I can say is I’m glad my team (Indians) won’t be the one.

8. TomTom - Sep 27, 2010 at 10:25 AM

Rivera also isn’t desperately trying to cling to his job.

9. BCTF - Sep 27, 2010 at 10:26 AM

That’s the point he is trying to make.

10. BCTF - Sep 27, 2010 at 10:26 AM

Papelbon isn’t that young anymore.

11. BCTF - Sep 27, 2010 at 10:34 AM

Not Cuzzi’s worst pro Yankee call

12. The Dangerous Mabry - Sep 27, 2010 at 11:32 AM

Dammit. One of these days I’m going to start reading for real, I promise.

13. Old Gator - Sep 27, 2010 at 11:32 AM

This is when I really miss Mike Celizic’s “Whine of the Week” column.

14. YANKEES1996 - Sep 27, 2010 at 11:33 AM

Not the greatest called game in the world last night, I don’t know what he was thinking about but it damn sure was not his job. It almost appeared at times that he was not even paying attention.

15. Kanonen80 - Sep 27, 2010 at 12:03 PM

I think TomTom has a point: Rivera has job security – Paps does not. Now, it’s debatable if blaming others helps his position, but he’s probably frustrated with people claiming he’s out of a job in Boston next season. No matter how poorly Mo pitchers over the next couple weeks, he’s got a contract with NY if he wants it.
    Add that to the fact that Paplebon is very outspoken and I think that explains the different reactions.

16. David - Sep 27, 2010 at 12:22 PM

remember when Theo said, “First of all, he’s no Rhodes scholar”?

17. Mr. Heyward - Sep 27, 2010 at 1:36 PM

…and that’s why they call him Papeldouche. Or at least my circle does…

18. Md23Rewls - Sep 27, 2010 at 1:39 PM

Hey, if I had put up the worst year of my major league season and had Daniel Bard waiting behind me, I’d complain about things too. What a tool.

19. Pisano - Sep 28, 2010 at 2:00 PM

Right on Gator , Papelbon is a whiny ass , he knows Bard is going to replace him next year . He ought to be thankful that Francona has the class to let him play out the season . Most managers would have replaced him with Bard a long time ago . I feel sorry for the next team that gets him , because God only knows who he’ll blame next for his short comings .

20. Pisano - Sep 28, 2010 at 2:03 PM

In NY he’s called Papelbum , if the shoe fits ……

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. J. Soler (3669)